Attempting to use android x86, bluetooth dongle refuses to connect to guest.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
NeKoconut

Attempting to use android x86, bluetooth dongle refuses to connect to guest.

Post by NeKoconut »

I am Trying to run android-x86-8.1-r6 in VirtualBox using a Windows Host. I have been successful in creating the VM and making it operational, except for Bluetooth capabilities. I need Bluetooth to be usable on this VM, but am at a loss of what I am doing wrong.
in my own research, I have come across a few previous threads which appeared to have similar issues, however they have not solved the issue for me.
Threads in question:
8&t=96661
8&t=95479
3&t=83342
3&t=83325
(URLs omitted to post question)

I have attempted to disable any Bluetooth Service I can locate in windows, which hasn't worked. Since I have re-enabled them, in order to have a fresh start at someone assisting me in resolving this.
To the best of my ability, I have added the USB using VirtualBox's USB Device Filters, which automatically filled in the
Name: Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0 [0112]
Vendor ID: 0a5c
Product ID: 21e8
Revision: 0112

To make a complex question simple I have 2 questions. Is this Bluetooth device compatible with the setup I have? If it is; What am I missing to properly attach this Bluetooth device to my android x86 guest?

VirtualBox version: Version 6.1.30 r148432 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest additions: No

Host Version: Windows 10 Pro - Version 21H2 - OS build 19044.1415 - Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Guest Version: android-x86-8.1-r6
both 64 bit.
Android 86-2022-01-05-15-44-46.zip
(31.26 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
VBoxSVC.zip
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
VBoxHardening.zip
(24.07 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
If I have missed anything necessary to receive assistance, please let me know and I will gather said info as soon as I am able.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Attempting to use android x86, bluetooth dongle refuses to connect to guest.

Post by scottgus1 »

Hardening log is exit code 0, so no hardening problems.

A USB device, Vendor ID: 0a5c, Product ID: 21e8, is being inserted into the VM space:
00:00:36.471639 VUSB: Attached '0000000005ec7f90[proxy 0a5c:21e8]' to port 2 on RootHub#0 (FullSpeed)
00:02:45.501721 VUSB: Detached '0000000005ec7f90[proxy 0a5c:21e8]' from port 2 on RootHub#0
However, the Extension Pack is not installed on the host, so the device is only coming in at USB 1.1 speed. Install the Extension Pack, then try USB 2 or 3. Note that drivers for the USB port chip being simulated and the USB Bluetooth device must be present or obtainable in the VM's OS.

Also see USB basics and troubleshooting.
NeKoconut

Re: Attempting to use android x86, bluetooth dongle refuses to connect to guest.

Post by NeKoconut »

Thank you for replying quickly scottgus1,

I have just installed the extension pack, and attempted a cold boot/plug in/test Bluetooth function/unplug/power off on both USB 2 and 3.
Both times have failed in a similar fashion to USB 1.
In regard to your last statement, "Note that drivers for the USB port chip being simulated and the USB Bluetooth device must be present or obtainable in the VM's OS." I interpreted this as you stating that I may need to install the drivers from within the android VM. Am I correct in this assumption? If I am correct, my first guess would be to find the driver via the internet, but I am not certain.
Pardon my lack of "technical speak" as this is just barely above my level of normal understanding, VMs are mostly a new field for me.
Android 86-2022-01-05-16-43-35.zip
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Attached is the Current VBox.log file generated after performing the steps outlined in the USB basics and troubleshooting post, particularly section 8.
During this session I plugged in the device, checked for Bluetooth usability, attempted to disconnect and reconnect the device from the USB options in VirtualBox, (which failed), unplugged, and powered off.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

EP and USB 3 are in use. The device is still being inserted, though still only at USB 1 speed. Maybe drivers are needed to get it to run at USB 2 or 3 speeds.
NeKoconut wrote:I may need to install the drivers from within the android VM.
This is correct.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, good luck finding drivers for anything for a generic Android x86.

Somebody put that Android x86 build together. I suggest you ask that person about Intel xHCI (USB3) support in that Android x86 build, and also whether a Bluetooth dongle is likely to require additional drivers inside the OS. AFAIK all of the drivers for the addon Bluetooth dongle on my physical desktop PC here are native to Win10, so perhaps they would be native in Android x86 too... assuming the guy who built the distro included them.
NeKoconut

Post by NeKoconut »

Thank you mpack, and scottgus1 for the help. As of currently, I am still trying to find a way to install drivers specifically for this USB dongle. I believe I may have found something, but have been denied access to moving the file within android's terminal. (lib/firmware/brcm)
I don't know how you handle your forums, but this will probably take me a while to make any significant headway on this issue. I am working with a couple other forums to see if a solution can be found for this. If I make significant headway in terms of installing drivers on this VM, I will return and report with further information for future individuals who might be looking for a similar issue. This might take a while though..
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem. We don't "close" topics, unless years have gone by. So please feel free to come back and let us know what you found!