oh no! something has gone wrong

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Miten

oh no! something has gone wrong

Post by Miten »

Hi,

I updated vbox, extension and then its debian guest from stretch to buster. I am getting stuck in boot now and getting oh no! something has gone wrong message.

I have attached logs. If any suggestion please let me know.

Regards,

Miten.
Attachments
debmit-2021-12-15-16-12-49-VBox.log
VBox log
(96.54 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
VBoxSVC.log
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: oh no! something has gone wrong

Post by mpack »

Several things I don't like.
  • You installed VirtualBox 6.1.30 on an unsupported host OS (Win7).
  • You dedicate 3GB RAM on a host that only has 3.5GB available. Not good. Reduce to 2GB, and watch how much RAM your host is using.
  • You have an ancient (6.0.0RC1) test build Guest Additions CD mounted in the drive for some reason, and those same GAs have been installed. This GAs version is obsolete and buggy and must be removed. The correct edition of the GAs CD was bundled with VirtualBox, why do so many people believe they need to go look elsewhere?
  • You have the VM files spread over multiple drives for some reason. By all mean locate the VM on a secondary drive if space is a problem, but put the entire VM there, otherwise you are just begging for version consistency problems.
  • The log you provided is truncated and therefore only semi useful - it never gets as far as reporting any runtime problem. Please make sure that VMs are fully closed down before grabbing the log. Also, zip the log to ensure the size is below the forum attachment limit.
Try turning off 3D graphics acceleration until you get the GAs version problem fixed.
Miten

Post by Miten »

Hi @mpack,

The default vm I think you referring about spread of multiple drives. I think I will delete that vm as I am using vbox after long break.
I will update guest additions once this issue is resovled.
I have now given only 2GB to vm and turned off 3D acceleration.
I am getting same error and PFA zip with two files in it.
I am able to login into recovery mode as root but do not know how to troubleshoot further.

Regards,

Miten.
Attachments
debmit-1.zip
vbox log and vboxsvc
(31.31 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This problem seems to be common in Debian installations using Gnome. I suggest you Google for solutions, e.g. here: https://superuser.com/questions/917377/ ... s-to-start.

Topic moved to "Linux Guests" since your Windows host seems to have no relevance in this discussion.
Miten

Post by Miten »

Hi,

I was able to login using ctrl-alt-f4 into a terminal as root. I did apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade again and saw that it fixed issue. It was correctly identified by mpack to be guest os issue.

Regards,

Miten.