black screen while starting ubuntu 20.04 system on my windows 7 host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ahmedelsayed518

black screen while starting ubuntu 20.04 system on my windows 7 host

Post by ahmedelsayed518 »

i am trying to start my virtual system i keep getting black screen with underscore mark as shown in the following img i can't know why i tried many things.
Attachments
img
img
Capture.PNG (10.98 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
VBox.log
vbox.log
(81.95 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by ahmedelsayed518 on 14. Dec 2021, 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: black screen while starting ubuntu 20.04 system on my windows 7 host

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 7 is your host OS, and Ubuntu is the guest.

The log does not show any problems in the VM 'hardware'. I think the problem is in the guest OS.

The last time this VM was working well, did you start an update? Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen and not be able to start the desktop when its disk fills up. Web-search how to log into Ubuntu using text only, and delete stuff.

Also, images can be cropped & resized then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.
ahmedelsayed518

scottgus1 wrote:Windows 7 is your host OS, and Ubuntu is the guest.

The log does not show any problems in the VM 'hardware'. I think the problem is in the guest OS.

The last time this VM was working well, did you start an update? Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen and not be able to start the desktop when its disk fills up. Web-search how to log into Ubuntu using text only, and delete stuff.

Also, images can be cropped & resized then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.
last time i used the VM i was unzipping a file it faild due to storage filled up i don't know how i have more that 10 gigabytes free then i restarted the VM and i got the problem then increased my storage by 30 gigabytes but the problem is the same.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

ahmedelsayed518 wrote:last time i used the VM i was unzipping a file it faild due to storage filled up
That caused the problem:
scottgus1 wrote:Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen and not be able to start the desktop when its disk fills up.
ahmedelsayed518 wrote:increased my storage by 30 gigabytes but the problem is the same.
If this means you increased the Virtualbox disk file size, that's good, but it's only half of the solution. The other half is to increase the partition size inside the OS. See How to Resize a Drive
ahmedelsayed518

scottgus1 wrote:
ahmedelsayed518 wrote:last time i used the VM i was unzipping a file it faild due to storage filled up
That caused the problem:
scottgus1 wrote:Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen and not be able to start the desktop when its disk fills up.

thanks it worked and my VM works now but i tried to unzip the file again it generated the same error and when i restarted the VM the problem happened again the file is some kilobytes i don't know why it's doing this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I wouldn't know either. Maybe it's a zip bomb?
ahmedelsayed518

thanks it worked and my VM works now but i tried to unzip the file again it generated the same error and when i restarted the VM the problem happened again the file is some kilobytes i don't know why it's doing this.[/quote]

this the current storage but the system inside sees that i have zero storage and i must add some just because i tried to unzip a file.
Attachments
VMdisk.PNG
VMdisk.PNG (4.42 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
ahmedelsayed518

scottgus1 wrote:I wouldn't know either. Maybe it's a zip bomb?
i trust this file it's mine i am the one who zipped it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Did you resize the drive's partition per the tutorial? It could be the VM's OS still needs some things done to it. Virtualbox only provides the drive. The OS inside handles the partitions.
ahmedelsayed518

scottgus1 wrote:Did you resize the drive's partition per the tutorial? It could be the VM's OS still needs some things done to it. Virtualbox only provides the drive. The OS inside handles the partitions.
this the gparted again you see the system used all my 28 gigabytes i added now i don't know how really and i need a way to clean it up.
Attachments
gP.PNG
gP.PNG (75.05 KiB) Viewed 7110 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Honestly, I don't know. You'd have to ask Ubuntu and Gparted. All Virtualbox does is provide the drive.

It would be like asking Western Digital or Seagate how to fix this on a real PC. They'd tell you the same thing: all they provide is spinning rust; ask the OS manufacturer who set up the partitions.

In your case Ubuntu set up the partitions, and either Ubuntu or Gparted can change them, but nothing in Virtualbox can change them.
ahmedelsayed518

scottgus1 wrote:Honestly, I don't know. You'd have to ask Ubuntu and Gparted. All Virtualbox does is provide the drive.

It would be like asking Western Digital or Seagate how to fix this on a real PC. They'd tell you the same thing: all they provide is spinning rust; ask the OS manufacturer who set up the partitions.

In your case Ubuntu set up the partitions, and either Ubuntu or Gparted can change them, but nothing in Virtualbox can change them.
ok thanks alot!