Debian 10 Guest: No Audio upon device change

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
MrFrizzy

Debian 10 Guest: No Audio upon device change

Post by MrFrizzy »

Windows 10 20H2 host
Debian 10 guest
VirtualBox 6.1.28 + guess additions + extensions

If my audio device changes when the VM is running, I then lose audio within the VM until the VM is rebooted. I am using a bluetooth audio receiver and if the bluetooth connection drops (powering off, plugging in to charge, switching devices, etc.) then the audio in the VM does not work at all. Same happens if I plug the bluetooth receiver in as a USB audio device and the connection is lost. I tried killing pulseaudio but nothing changed. Using the Devices > Audio option to disable and reenable the audio output did nothing as well. The audio in the Win10 host works fine through audio device changes.

My exact process has been:
  1. Run the VM like normal
  2. Open Spotify/Pandora/Youtube and play something
  3. Power off/unplug bluetooth receiver
  4. Lose all audio until VM reboot
In the logs, I get a lot of the below messages on repeat once the audio device is changed/unplugged/turned off:

Code: Select all

WasAPI: GetCurrentPadding failed on '[WasAPI] Output:0': AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED

WasAPI: GetCurrentPadding([WasAPI] Output:0) failed during playback: AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED (@0x0)

AssertLogRel F:\tinderbox\win-6.1\src\VBox\Devices\Audio\DrvAudio.cpp(3351) unsigned int __cdecl drvAudioStreamGetWritable(struct PDMIAUDIOCONNECTOR *,struct PDMAUDIOSTREAM *): cbWritable
Initially I was running Vbox 6.1.22 and running into the same issues as in this thread (can't post URLs yet: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94233), but updating to 6.1.28 resolved the whole VM locking up.
Attachments
VBox.zip
Log from when the audio device changed.
(153.81 KiB) Downloaded 7 times