Ubuntu Guest/WIndows10 Host - Poor Network Connection in Guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Andyxwood

Ubuntu Guest/WIndows10 Host - Poor Network Connection in Guest

Post by Andyxwood »

Hey all,

Apologies in advance if this has been solved previously on this forum. I've done my due diligence and have yet to find a solution.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS from a Windows 10 host machine and am experiencing incredibly slow network connection on the guest (5-20mbps). Host is using ethernet with fiber.

Here are the network settings I've configured for the guest. I've tried multiple variations and haven't found a fix for this performance issue yet. Also, using the same network settings with a windows 10 VM have yielded successful results (almost the same speed as the host).

(Can't post URLS as I'm a new member with no posts) Network settings are as follows:
  1. Bridged Adapter
  2. Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
  3. Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
  4. Promiscuous Mode: Allow All
  5. Cable Connected is checked
I have installed the latest guest additions, have allocated 16384mb of memory, 12 cores of an AMD 6800ct processor, and 100% execution cap. I've also tried enabling/disabling various settings to see if there was a random interaction that may be causing this issue. If anyone has any insight or tests I could perform I'd greatly appreciate it!
Andyxwood

Re: Ubuntu Guest/WIndows10 Host - Poor Network Connection in Guest

Post by Andyxwood »

Unsure why it's working now, but I built a new VM and went through the guest additions process and I'm now getting the same speeds as my host. Wish I had more information for the next person who encounters this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ubuntu Guest/WIndows10 Host - Poor Network Connection in Guest

Post by mpack »

It could be this
12 cores of an AMD 6800ct processor
A VM usually only needs two cores. More than that usually makes it slower.

In particular if you assign all cores to the VM then you potentially starve the host of CPU, which will not help stability. I wanted to check how many cores the "AMD 6800ct" actually has, but I found essentially nothing about that CPU. Did you get the name right?