CentOSstream 8 and 9 - problem with resolution GUI

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
MarcelG

CentOSstream 8 and 9 - problem with resolution GUI

Post by MarcelG »

Hi,

I've installed CentOSstream 8 and 9 and in this both cases I have problem with resolution. I can change it to value that I want, but after restart machine resolution comes back to 800x600. I created folder to check if machine remember savaing data and configuration after reboot/poweroff, but everything looks ok and machine remember changes but not resolution... I haven't installed any guest additons...

Problem isn't occured on Centos7. I have the newest version virtual box 6.1.28.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: CentOSstream 8 and 9 - problem with resolution GUI

Post by mpack »

Let's go directly to the usual explanation for this... Did you actually install it, or are you running a live CD? Live CDs don't write any persistent data, they are demos only.
MarcelG

Post by MarcelG »

I always install on hard drive as dynamicall VDI. I suppose on live CD created folder wouldn't be exist after reebot.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

MarcelG wrote:I suppose on live CD created folder wouldn't be exist after reebot.
I don't use live CDs, but it's my understanding that they are a fully functional OS, but the primary disk is an image in RAM (i.e. a RAM disk). That is why changes do not persist. If you were, while running the live CD, to mount the VM primary drive (VDI) and write to it then those writes would be persistent, while system changes such as display size would remain non-persisting.

If you provide a VM log then there will be no need to speculate on this. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
MarcelG

Post by MarcelG »

Please, Logs in attachment.
Attachments
Centosstream9-2021-11-03-16-53-57.zip
(30.16 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for the log, which shows that your VM is in fact booting from hard disk (VDI).

The only thing that occurs is that VirtualBox does not choose the display size beyond the original BIOS boot stage. Once the guest OS begins to boot, it tells the "monitor" what display size to use. I would suggest that you have not configured the guest OS correctly.

Perhaps installing the Guest Additions would change things up.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions:

While the VM is not running, open a command prompt and enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata "Centosstream9" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1440,900"
Background rationale:

When a Linux guest is set to a display resolution that is considerably smaller (in both dimensions) than the resolution of the host's monitor on which the VM window is displayed, the GUI/LastGuestSizeHint setting is not stored in the VM configuration.
MarcelG

Post by MarcelG »

fth0 wrote:In addition to installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions:

While the VM is not running, open a command prompt and enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata "Centosstream9" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1440,900"
Background rationale:

When a Linux guest is set to a display resolution that is considerably smaller (in both dimensions) than the resolution of the host's monitor on which the VM window is displayed, the GUI/LastGuestSizeHint setting is not stored in the VM configuration.
Thanks, but it didn't help.

I've tried installed VirtualBox Guest Addition by automatic script after, but there were showed notification about errors.

I used this tutorial from site. Tutorial for centos 8 stream but I'm configuring centos9stream right now.
server-world . info / en / note?os=CentOS_Stream_8&p=virtualbox&f=3
To be honest I did only:
[root@guest ~]# dnf -y upgrade kernel
[root@guest ~]# dnf -y install gcc make bzip2 kernel-devel elfutils-libelf-devel
[root@guest ~]# reboot

After reboot, the machine started running as if the add-ons were working properly.[I didn't do nothing more]. I mean I can change resolution of screen by resizing width or height of windows. Machine also remember set up resolution.