Display Graphics Controller Option?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jetras
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows (2012 & 10), Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu, CentOS), FreeBSD (pfSense)

Display Graphics Controller Option?

Post by Jetras »

I have a Windows Host running a CentOSLinux VM that is for the purpose of a CCTV Monitor. I need the screen of the VM to act as the Display for the Monitor (see Camera streams on the VM). My VM currently loads into the Linux menu and will not switch over to display the Camera Streams. in reality, we use one Monitor for the Monitor 'Server' and we hit shortcut keys to enter into the Menu mode (Ctl-Alt F3). I'm assuming that the VM needs a certain Graphics Controller to get this to work right or am I missing something?
Shoot for the Moon, even if you miss you still made it among the stars!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Display Graphics Controller Option?

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "Linux Guests" since the host is not relevant to the question asked.

The answer to your question is probably software dependent: did you install the Guest Additions yet? A Linux guest should be using the VMSVGA graphics controller.

Which is more likely: making it to the stars, or crash and burn on the ocean? :)
Jetras
Guest OSses: Windows (2012 & 10), Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu, CentOS), FreeBSD (pfSense)

Post by Jetras »

I mounted the Guest Additions CD but the cannot get the CentOS to see the command VBoxLinuxAdditions.run as a valid command as root. I'm in the folder, can see it, and it says invalid command, even with sudo.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Did you use sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run (with the dot slash)? ;)
Jetras

Post by Jetras »

I did not, thank you. So now the kernel header isn't found for my kernel, I'll research this issue, thanks!

I am using the VMSVGA driver and it still isn't working properly. I get the menu screen but it won't "flip" over to the camera feed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Headers are part of the prerequisites need for Virtualbox on the host or Guest Additions in the VM, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux
Jetras

Post by Jetras »

Got VirtualBox Guest Additions installed, but still doesn't work. I think there is a graphics emulator that I cannot emulator for this VM. The screen will "flash" about 4 times like it is attempting to switch into the Camera Feed mode, but it stops at the Linux Terminal Menu again. Normally it starts in Camera Feed mode and you have to use a Key Shortcut to get to the Linux Terminal Menu.

Are there any other graphics card emulators for VirtualBox?