Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't recover.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Erasmo

Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't recover.

Post by Erasmo »

Hello,

I was using Ubuntu on my laptop using virtualbox (I have windows as OS) and I left the laptop for about 5 minutes. It went on standby but this time when I started using it again, Ubuntu restarted for no reason and this message appeared:

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again."

I followed the instructions found in another topic about Hyper-V enabled but it did not work.

I attach the log file.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments
linux-2021-10-12-13-10-59.zip
(30.92 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't recover.

Post by mpack »

Your guest is Linux, not Windows, so the question does not belong in "Windows Guests". Topic moved to "Linux Guests".

And in fact it looks to me like you have a problem with Ubuntu, not a problem with VirtualBox. However, a number of host issues can affect the guest. Make sure you have plenty of space on the host drive to allow the guest drive to expand to its configured size. Also turn off power saving features in the guest.

p.s. It's about time the Guest Additions were updated. And increase the graphics RAM to 128MB. And change the OS type to "Ubuntu (64bit)".
Erasmo

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't recover.

Post by Erasmo »

I changed the OS type and the graphics RAM but it still doesn't work.

Is there anything I can do?
I have very important files that at least I would like to extract and save.

Thanks again.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I also agree that the Virtualbox 'hardware' is not having a problem. The problem is inside the VM's OS.

If you wish to get files out of the VM's OS drive, you can try using 7-zip on the host to open the drive file as an archive, then navigate down to and extract your desired files.

Or make a new booting VM and attach the drive file from the old VM as a second disk.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

I had a similar problem yesterday with Guest OS - PopOs.

Everything was working normal.. then the OS crashed... Rebooted and it would only boot partially for some reason... It would only boot to recovery mode. In recovery mode, was able to edit:

Code: Select all

nano /etc/fstab
Once I commented out my Shared drive - with a '#' as the first character and saved file fstab, I shut down the OS and rebooted. It booted up.

Hope this helps.
xtr01

Post by xtr01 »

I solved this problem by turning on 3d acceleration option
simen

Post by simen »

turning on 3d acceleration fixed it for me aswell
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can see a long sequence of unsubstantiated "me too" posts on the way. Locking this topic to prevent it.