[Solved] Blank screen on boot after move of VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
phild

[Solved] Blank screen on boot after move of VM

Post by phild »

This is the second time I attempted to do this. The first time the host OS and the target OS were the same version / distribution. This time, I was moving the VM from a Fedora host (v32 (can't update because of video card)) to the target PCLinuxOS host. In both cases, the VM boots and I see the Kubuntu screen, it then goes blank and I next expect to see the login screen but it never appears. The Kubuntu VM is running 20.04 (with latest updates). The VM is running within Virtual Box 6.1 (both old and new VMs). I have tried changing the video adapter within Virtual Box but that does not seem to have any effect - the screen is still blank after booting. Video memory is set at 16MB and RAM is set at 3GB for the VM. The first time it happened, I rebuild the VM machine from scratch. I have moved machines previously without incident - in fact I moved a second machine as part of this transfer of host machines and the second booted successfully (Windows). Not sure what else to check for the Kubuntu VM to boot successfully.
Last edited by phild on 4. Oct 2021, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
phild

Re: Blank screen on boot after move of VM

Post by phild »

I have been able to solve this issue. The solution was:
1) Access the grub menu (press "Shift" when machine begins to boot)
2) Choose the Ubuntu recovery option
3) Next choose "Network" to start the network
4) Then choose "Clean" to fix any broken packages
5) After step four is completed, select "resume" to start in normal mode.

Because of the video drivers, I in fact had to restart the VM as was noted as being a possibility when "resuming" the machine. Machine booted to the KDE login menu, I was able to login successfully and perform regular functions.
phgachoud

Re: [Solved] Blank screen on boot after move of VM

Post by phgachoud »

Tried the send ctrl+alt+del? sometimes makes my video driver react