KDE Neon after Update Blackscreen at Start

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Apoc

KDE Neon after Update Blackscreen at Start

Post by Apoc »

Hello Dear Virtualbox Community,

i use Virtualbox for a long time now but i would say in troubleshooting im a beginner.
I faced a problem running KDE Neon as a Guest on a Linux Mint Host.

After updating KDE Neon there comes after booting up only a blackscreen, no Login Screen.
I tried to disable Hardware Acceleration but this not help thus far.
I guess it has something to do with the Kernel, as the Host got recently a Kernel update. (and i assume the Guest too)

I would be very glad if someone could hep me in this case.

This is not a productive System at all but i wouldnt like to loose my Data.

Kind Regards
Apoc
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: KDE Neon after Update Blackscreen at Start

Post by scottgus1 »

Apoc wrote:After updating KDE Neon there comes after booting up only a blackscreen
KDE Neon is apparently based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is known to go to black-screen when there is not enough disk space available to start the desktop environment. This happens on real PCs too. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu black-screen because of too little disk space, do what the web-search says to the VM, and please let us know what happened.
Apoc

Post by Apoc »

scottgus1 wrote:
Apoc wrote:After updating KDE Neon there comes after booting up only a blackscreen
KDE Neon is apparently based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is known to go to black-screen when there is not enough disk space available to start the desktop environment. This happens on real PCs too. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu black-screen because of too little disk space, do what the web-search says to the VM, and please let us know what happened.
Thank you. i will try this and tell whats happened!
Apoc

Post by Apoc »

Hello,

after a lot of websearch i tried several things to get it run.
- After increasing the Video Memory Size (don know why it have been on 16Mb) and enable 3D Acceleration i come to the Login Screen, after entering my PW again blank screen.
- changing the Graphics controller to VMSVGA doesnt do anything
- what i can find in the logfile is "2D acceleration is diabled" maybe this is an issue? but nothing like fallback etc.
- i also logged into the console via ctrl-alt_F2 and tried to go to the trash folder via cd .local/share/Trash/files after ls it seems there are no files in there
- i also tried to remove old log files in the /var/log folder. But no success.

Does it help if i ad a logfile?

Kind regards
apoc