Ubuntu 20.04 randomly crashes with "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED"

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
AnKe

Ubuntu 20.04 randomly crashes with "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED"

Post by AnKe »

I've been running Ubuntu LTS for quite some time on top of my Windows 10 host without any issues or major changes. After reinstalling from scratch to do a cleanup it randomly crashes with the mentioned error, i.e. suddenly goes into guru mediation. Last time it happened almost right after boot up when starting Firefox, but usually it simply comes at some time. Any further idea how to troubleshoot this?

Thx
Andreas
Last edited by AnKe on 1. Sep 2021, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 randomly crashes with "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED"

Post by scottgus1 »

This error seems to happen when Hyper-V is enabled, as it is on your host. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
AnKe

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 randomly crashes with "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED"

Post by AnKe »

Thanks a lot! Disabling Hyper-V as explained with bcdedit and dism did the trick. Meanwhile I realized that my guests became pretty slow / unresponsive. I suspect Hyper-V might have been enabled some while ago when playing with the upgrade from WSL to WSL2. I'm not actually using this one, but obviously it has changed also something with Hyper-V.

Andreas
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

AnKe wrote:upgrade from WSL to WSL2
Yep, that did it. WSL does not need Hyper-V, but WSL2 does.

Glad you're up and running!