Ubuntu VM no longer loading

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
NullTie

Ubuntu VM no longer loading

Post by NullTie »

Hello!

I've been using an Ubuntu guest for a few months now and yesterday it decided to longer load. After showing the Ubuntu screen it just sits at a black screen with a white cursor blinking. I've Googled this symptom and most fixes involve giving the guest more memory or increasing the cores or increasing video memory but I don't think that's the problem here. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I haven't installed anything so I'm not quite sure what's going on. I have added the most recent log and a screenshot of something appearing to fail during post.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
vlcsnap-2021-08-30-05h27m51s223.png
vlcsnap-2021-08-30-05h27m51s223.png (118.83 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Ubuntu-2021-08-30-05-25-47.log
(88 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu VM no longer loading

Post by scottgus1 »

The VM 'hardware' does not appear to show any problems, though the log was taken while the VM was running, so some diagnostic info may have been missed.

Ubuntu is known to go to black-screen when there is not enough disk space available to start the desktop environment. This happens on real PCs too. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu black-screen because of too little disk space, do what the web-search says to the VM, and please let us know what happened.
NullTie

Post by NullTie »

The VM 'hardware' does not appear to show any problems, though the log was taken while the VM was running, so some diagnostic info may have been missed.

Ubuntu is known to go to black-screen when there is not enough disk space available to start the desktop environment. This happens on real PCs too. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu black-screen because of too little disk space, do what the web-search says to the VM, and please let us know what happened.
You hit the nail right on the head. I went in using the recovery menu and managed to clean up just enough memory to get the VM to boot. After that, I realized I had set an incredibly large download to download into the local disk instead of the network drive it was supposed to and fixed that.

Thanks @scottgus1!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.