Q: Can I mount shared folder to NAS drive?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
yoallmyfish

Q: Can I mount shared folder to NAS drive?

Post by yoallmyfish »

Hi all
I'm a linux newbie, just so you know :)

I have a VirtualBox on Windows 10, and have created a Linux Ubuntu guest server.
Inside the Linux guest server I would like to mount a drive with access to my NAS Synology drive, which requires a username and password.

Can that be done, and HOW in that case please?
Much appreciated :)

I have googled quite much on this, but I think all articles I see is not about creatinga mounted drive to a NAS drive.

Best Regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Q: Can I mount shared folder to NAS drive?

Post by scottgus1 »

If you use Virtualbox Bridged for the VM's network, then the VM will be on the network same as your other computers, and the VM will have direct network access to the NAS's shared folders. Use Ubuntu's methods to mount the NAS folder over your LAN as if the VM was a real PC.

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter
yoallmyfish

Post by yoallmyfish »

Thank you. I guess I'm using "Briged", as I have "just" created a standard VM I think.

But does that article help in how too connect to a NAS folder and also with username and password?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

No, because this is a generic Ubuntu / Linux question. VirtualBox has nothing to do with this. ;)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

yoallmyfish wrote:Thank you. I guess I'm using "Briged", as I have "just" created a standard VM I think.
Bridged is not the default. Best not guess - go check the VM's network settings.

If the VM is bridged then it has access to the physical network that includes the NAS, so VirtualBox doesn't need to simulate NAS services: the VM can use a NAS SMBx share directly (you may have to enable SAMBA in a Linux guest).
yoallmyfish

Post by yoallmyfish »

Hi
You were right, it was not Brided. It is now, and now I can access the NAS shared drive.

I'm now just missing one piece in the puzzle;

I need to access that NAS Shared folder from Filezilla, and at first glance, I see no possibility in Filezilla to access the shared NAS folder.

Perhaps I need to first "mount" the shared NAS folder in the linux guest server, and then I can access it from within FileZilla afterwards.

Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

yoallmyfish wrote:it was not Bridged. It is now, and now I can access the NAS shared drive.
Great! That's good news.
yoallmyfish wrote:Filezilla to access the shared NAS folder....Any ideas?
I have set FileZilla in one Windows OS to use a shared folder networked from another Windows OS. I would suspect that the OS running FileZilla has to be able to access the folder before FileZilla can access it.

However, this is not a Ubuntu or FileZilla forum, so you'd need to web-search these questions. Once the Virtualbox 'hardware' is working, that's all we can do here.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

mpack wrote:If the VM is bridged then it has access to the physical network that includes the NAS, so VirtualBox doesn't need to simulate NAS services: the VM can use a NAS SMBx share directly
I'm a little puzzled by this comment. Why would VB need to get involved with the NAS on *any* network type? Even using VB NAT for the adapter, the only thing *VB* needs to worry about is passing the network traffic along untouched: it doesn't need to do anything "special" for it any more than it does for e.g. HTTP etc.

> (you may have to enable SAMBA in a Linux guest).

To clarify just in case someone gets confused by that part later: the only thing the guest needs is the cifs-utils package. The samba* packages are for hosting a samba server, not for clients accessing one.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

arQon wrote:Why would VB need to get involved with the NAS on *any* network type? Even using VB NAT for the adapter
That was the OPs implication, not mine.