DHCP Server Appliance

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

DHCP Server Appliance

Post by operation420.net »

Is there an OVA (or similar format) appliance of a DHCP server that's compatible with standard Linux DHCP server config files?

Ideally:
* The VM would use a little RAM (and CPU,disk,etc) as possible so I can run it alongside my full Linux VMs without much, if any, performance loss on the host and other VMs
* A way to remotely manage it, SSH and/or a web interface
* File size of OVA/etc and resulting VDI files would be as small as possible

I search for VirtualBox DHCP Appliance online and found https://cdocs.menandmice.com/display/MM ... etup+Guide , Google Chrome discards the download as suspicious. It probably it not, they have a GitHub repository and I imagine if their software was nefarious, someone would have posted an issue and/or reported it to GH and it would have been taken down, but am gonna err on the side of caution. But I am not sure about performance and if portability to/from other (Linux) DHCP...
Last edited by operation420.net on 25. Aug 2021, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?t=8208
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: DHCP Server Appliance

Post by scottgus1 »

I haven't heard of any myself. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd trust such a thing to be free of well-hidden malware such that it would be safe to unleash in a network. I'd consider downloading a low-impact (maybe text-only) Linux OS from a reliable distro, and set up a DHCP server on it myself.
operation420.net
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: DHCP Server Appliance

Post by operation420.net »

scottgus1 wrote:I haven't heard of any myself. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd trust such a thing to be free of well-hidden malware such that it would be safe to unleash in a network. I'd consider downloading a low-impact (maybe text-only) Linux OS from a reliable distro, and set up a DHCP server on it myself.
Is there a safe place to download appliances that have been checked for safety?

What Linux distro would be best? DamnSmallLinux is discontinued, but Puppy is a not-so-small alternative. They have distributions based on other different distros, which one would be best for a dedicated DHCP server?
viewtopic.php?t=8208