After update to 6.1.26, CentOS 7 Guest can't run Gnome desktop

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Nathan Edwards

After update to 6.1.26, CentOS 7 Guest can't run Gnome desktop

Post by Nathan Edwards »

Using an OVA file developed with 6.1.12 (approx one year ago).

Update Virtual Box to 6.1.26; Import Appliance; Start; Gnome desktop running; yum update -y; Shutdown; Start; Gnome desktop running; Install 6.1.26 Guest additions; Shutdown; Start - boom, no Gnome desktop. X is running, but no window manager. I have the Gnome background right-click popup-menu, but nothing else. Mouse cursor is the "X" of a bare X-windows.

I don't even know where to start looking, and classes start next week!

I don't see anything obvious in /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /var/log/gdm/:0.log to indicate what is going on. I tried turning off 3D acceleration for the display, increasing the display memory to 128MB, but didn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?

- n
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: After update to 6.1.26, CentOS 7 Guest can't run Gnome desktop

Post by scottgus1 »

Might be a Guest Additions problem. For now, due to time issues, delete the VM and re-import, don't update GAs.
Nathan Edwards wrote:classes start next week!
If it ain't broke... :lol:
Nathan Edwards

Post by Nathan Edwards »

A bit of an update: 6.1.24 and 6.1.26 have this issue. 6.1.22 does not.

Note too, the set of steps to reproduce is simpler than I thought.

Install Virtual Box to 6.1.26; Import Appliance; Start; Gnome desktop running; Insert Guest Additions CD, install; Shutdown; Start; Start - boom, no Gnome desktop. X is running, but no window manager. I have the Gnome background right-click popup-menu, but nothing else. Mouse cursor is the "X" of a bare X-windows.

I generally want to update the VirtualBox version to the latest before distributing the Exported Appliance to students so they don't get lots of warning messages about upgrading, etc. C'est la vie. I'll just step back to 6.1.22 and warn the students not to upgrade.

Cheers!

- n
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, you're running a class.... Yes, you'd want to have a trouble-free experience.

If the imported VM is a year-ish old, the new Guest Additions may require a re-run of the prerequisites, https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq, which are the same as when installing Virtualbox on the host OS. Try this in a new import, see what happens. If the Gnome runs south on you, shut down the VM, then please zip and post the latest vbox.log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.