Screen resizing broken again, 6.1.26, ubuntu (and arch)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vputz

Screen resizing broken again, 6.1.26, ubuntu (and arch)

Post by vputz »

OK, windows 10 host, ubuntu (21.04) guest, guest additions 6.1.26 installed, trying wayland. The odd thing was this has been my primary workstation and has been working fine with two fullscreen displays for weeks until I made the mistake of rebooting instead of just suspending/resuming. So it HAS worked in the past. But now... 800x600, one screen in a tiny little window.

The log is attached. The odd thing is, VBoxClient is clearly seeing screen changes, as shown in the attachment. So the communication is there, but the resizing just isn't happening (much less multimonitor). VMSVGA, 3d acceleration on.

Utterly baffling this round; I've managed to do arcane incantations in the past like "go windowed, enable display 2, go fullscreen, no wait, go back windowed and rearrange, now go back fullscreen" to get this working but no go this round. I'm going to just properly install and dual-boot at this point (since this is a long-running workstation VM and I need both displays) but any idea?

(this happens on an arch test VM too, but I know arch is unsupported).
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-12 165907.png
Screenshot 2021-08-12 165907.png (71.51 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
dev3_default_1618594180128_51149-2021-08-12-16-49-13.log
(99.48 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Screen resizing broken again, 6.1.26, ubuntu (and arch)

Post by scottgus1 »

The Guest Additions are installed and working, but the log only has 17 seconds of run time, so I don't see the 3D capabilities dump that the VM is supposed to put in the log after it starts booting.

Please try again with the log, letting the VM run for 5 minutes and trying the setup you want, then shut it down from within the OS, then zip and post the log after the VM window has closed.

Also try using the View menu size commands.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Re: Screen resizing broken again, 6.1.26, ubuntu (and arch)

Post by arQon »

"trying wayland". That's your problem.

Fix that first. If you still have problems after that (possibly different ones) then search this forum for "xrandr": the hack I posted a few months back should fix them. - edit> Nope, 6.1.26 is even more broken, and that no longer works. However, the rest of the post remains valid.

That search will also return you multiple instances of the explanation of why Wayland is broken by design and will never work in this context. sigh... :(