In the Linux system, use the virtualbox clipboard to make the local clipboard unavailable

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
chenghaoliu

In the Linux system, use the virtualbox clipboard to make the local clipboard unavailable

Post by chenghaoliu »

Version: 6.1.24
Native operating system: deepin
virtualbox system: Windows10 Home Edition
Question: I have turned off the drag and paste function of virtualbox in the settings. I copied the file in the windows system without pasting it, and then copied and pasted it in the deepin system's own system file, and returned to the windows system, the windows system itself did not paste.

deleted: VBoxQ.zip (zipped tiny GIF)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: In the Linux system, use the virtualbox clipboard to make the local clipboard unavailable

Post by mpack »

"drag and paste"???

VirtualBox (when running on GUI host and guest) supports two features: "drag and drop" (i.e. drag things using the mouse), and "copy and paste" (copy text and images using an intermediate shared clipboard, and Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V etc). These features are entirely separate and should not be confused.

You can't copy files via the clipboard, since a file is neither a text blob nor an image blob.

Your postage stamp image is far too small to be useful. What would have been useful is a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
chenghaoliu

Re: In the Linux system, use the virtualbox clipboard to make the local clipboard unavailable

Post by chenghaoliu »

This problem has existed for a long time. I think this problem is very serious. Even if I turn off drag and drop and copy and paste, it also affects the clipboard of my Windows machine.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(20.6 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by mpack on 3. Aug 2021, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete indecipherable GIF that still takes 240KB!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Just to clarify what we are seeing here:
- Shared clipboard and drag&drop are disabled for the Windows guest
- You copy some files into the Windows clipboard inside the Windows guest
- You use the host Linux clipboard to copy and paste something
- After this the Windows clipboard is empty
Is this correct?
chenghaoliu

Post by chenghaoliu »

Yes, your understanding is very correct.
I have turned off the drag and drop and clipboard functions in virtualbox, but the copy and paste of deepin affects the clipboard function in my Windows virtual machine.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox clipboard implementation has been modified quite often during the VirtualBox 6.1.x release updates. Therefore, IMHO it only makes sense to report issues where the VirtualBox version and the VirtualBox Guest Additions version are the same and as new as possible (e.g. 6.1.26 as of today). I don't expect this to solve your issue, though.

In general, I think that the VirtualBox clipboard integration into the host OS and the guest OS is initialized early on, and that this is done to allow to enable/disable copy and paste operations during the runtime of a VM effectively.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I can confirm the issue, BTW:

The Windows guest OS clipboard is cleared during the copy operation on the Linux host OS (Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon host, VirtualBox 6.1.26, Windows 10 21H1 guest, VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.26).
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I've created a ticket in the Bugtracker: 20487.