Auto-resize guest display with VMSVGA not working on 32-bit ubuntu

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
alsn21

Auto-resize guest display with VMSVGA not working on 32-bit ubuntu

Post by alsn21 »

I have a ubuntu 14.04 32-bit guest using VMSVGA. Up until version 6.1.16 the options for seamless mode, auto-resize guest, and Virtual Screen 1 resize were available and working. Starting with 6.1.16 guest additions all those options are grayed out. With each new version of virtual box since 6.1.16 the options remain grayed out, but if I uninstall the matching guest additions version and install an older guest additions like 6.1.12 the menu options return. The 6.1.16 change log mentions "Workaround to improve resizing of 32-bit VMs with VMSVGA graphics controller..." so that might be the cause? Should 32-bit Linux guests still have those menu options available?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Auto-resize guest display with VMSVGA not working on 32-bit ubuntu

Post by scottgus1 »

The options should definitely still be available. Could be something is broken.

Please start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
alsn21

Post by alsn21 »

Log_6.1.16_additions.log.zip
menu options grayed out
(28.76 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Log_6.1.14_additions.log.zip
menu options available
(28.89 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The Log_6.1.16_additions.log.zip file shows that you are still running VirtualBox 6.1.12, plus the 6.12 Extension Pack with the 6.1.16 Guest Additions. Not sure how or why you've managed to do that, but it's never a good idea to use a Guest Additions Pack that is later than the VirtualBox Version.

I suggest you first try getting all versions aligned, preferably using a more up to date version of VirtualBox, and then see if your problem still exists.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I concur with MultiOS's assessment. The 6.1.12 log suffers the same issue. The host version of Virtualbox is trying to run with Guest Additions that did not exist yet. The changes in 6.1.16 may not be comatible with 6.1.12.

Jump ahead to 6.1.26 host Virtualbox and GAs, try the auto-resize then.

BTW your host PC's username cannot be used to hack your computer unless your location among the 4 billion IPv4 addresses or the galaxy's worth of IPv6's on the internet and your password are known, and you have exposed remote access ports on the web. Seeing that you felt obfuscating your username was important, I'd highly doubt that you password is P@$$w0rd. :lol:
alsn21

Post by alsn21 »

I only installed those guest additions into my 6.1.12 guest to capture the requested log. As I guess I poorly tried to explain it is only the version of the guest additions that causes those menu items to either be available or grayed out. Starting with virtualbox 6.1.16, a matching virtualbox and guest additions version will have the menu items grayed out. If you just go back to a version of guest additions before 6.1.16, the menu items are once again available. Here's the log from a full 6.1.26 install, and the log with just the guest additions rolled back to 6.1.14.
Log_6.1.26_additions.zip
menu items grayed out
(28.93 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Log_6.1.14_additions.zip
menu items available
(28.87 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
galitsyn

Post by galitsyn »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add a bit more clarity. There are few ways Guest Additions can change guest screen size.

1. Using XRandr library (if available in system).
2. X11 VMWare control extension (if X11 provides it).
3. Directly communicating with VMWare diver from within VBoxDRMClient process.
4. X11 vboxvideo driver (for old guests).

For this particular case/log, guest is 32-bit Linux. In this case, once VM is configured for VMSVGA graphics, VBoxClient --vmsvga service will automatically switch to option (3) -- it will fork VBoxDRMClient process and turn it will take care about resizing. VBoxDRMClient can (only) communicate with VMWare driver starting from vmwgfx version 2.10 (which corresponds to vanilla kernel 4.6). In the log I see that kernel is older. Therefore, VBoxDRMClient it is not expected to work. I would suggest to use either VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA graphics for this VM. In this case, option (4) will take place.
alsn21

Post by alsn21 »

I have the exact same linux distro with the exact same kernel (4.4) in 64-bit flavor, too, and VMSVGA is working fine. Is that expected?

While using VBoxVGA/VBoxSVGA does enable the menu items, the auto-resize/virtual screen 1 resize still do not work.