Server unreachable

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
geoelo

Server unreachable

Post by geoelo »

Hi all! My server is sort-of unreachable; I appreciate some help.

My setup is the following:
W10 Virtual box host (dhcp ip: 192....50)
Ubuntu 18 (or 16) guest (static local ip: 192...100; bridged adapter)
Router with public ip and domain pointing to the public ip.

My domain (or its ip) is working fine from all networks except from my own wifi/LAN no matter the browser or OS. From the host W10 or from another device on the same nework, the domain is unreachable. Its a Bigblubutton site with a greenlight frontend.

If I ping from W10 cmd to the guest local ip (192....100 - Ubuntu 18 static ip), I get a response.
If I ping from W10 cmd to the domain (blablabla.tk) I get a response.
If I ping from W10 cmd to the public ip I get a response.
If I browse from my own network (wifi/lan, W10/Android) to my local ip (192....100) I get an nginx welcome page (!?) which is not the landing page of my server; it should be a greenlight frontend, just as I see from networks other than my own.
If I browse to my public ip I get a time out page (unreachable).

Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Server unreachable

Post by scottgus1 »

geoelo wrote:If I ping from W10 cmd to the guest local ip (192....100 - Ubuntu 18 static ip), I get a response.
If I ping from W10 cmd to the domain (blablabla.tk) I get a response.
If I ping from W10 cmd to the public ip I get a response.
This, especially the first line, means the Virtualbox network is working and the problem resides in configuration of the 3rd-party services.
geoelo wrote:If I browse from my own network (wifi/lan, W10/Android) to my local ip (192....100) I get an nginx welcome page (!?) which is not the landing page of my server; it should be a greenlight frontend, just as I see from networks other than my own.
If you are browsing to the VM without using a port number, I would guess this means your nginx web-server is running on port 80, so your greenlight can't. How "other networks" can get the greenlight, I'm not certain.

Since other networks can reach the greenlight web page (assuming this is the greenlight running in the VM and you don't have another one running somewhere you've forgotten about :lol: ), this also means the Virtualbox network is working. Look into your other devices, config files on the VM OS, port forwarding in the network router, etc.