Samba sharing issues with file/folder with $ in filename

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Samba sharing issues with file/folder with $ in filename

Post by operation420.net »

https://superuser.com/questions/1632715 ... n-filename

https://i.stack.imgur.com/wlLcc.png

I am having an issue with file comparison and Samba. A folder with a dollar $ign in it's filename appears twice and folders after that folder in the parent directory are missing in Beyond Compare, but they are not missing when I connect to the SMB server on the host.

I do not have this issue on a Samba server on a real Linux box I have.

I know Linux/bash uses $ for variables and wonder if somewhere along the line the dollar sign is not being parsed correctly...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Samba sharing issues with file/folder with $ in filename

Post by mpack »

This is not surprising. Share names are supposed to use lowest common denominator characters. No $. You shouldn't even mix case, though it has become conventional to display a name as "Download" when the actual name is "DOWNLOAD".

And in any case: if this was Samba then VirtualBox is not involved - all it does is provide the network connection. IMO you are seeing the standard rules for SMB share naming.
operation420.net
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by operation420.net »

mpack wrote:This is not surprising. Share names are supposed to use lowest common denominator characters. No $. You shouldn't even mix case, though it has become conventional to display a name as "Download" when the actual name is "DOWNLOAD".

And in any case: if this was Samba then VirtualBox is not involved - all it does is provide the network connection. IMO you are seeing the standard rules for SMB share naming.
In Windows and a physical Linux box I can have filenames with mixed case and dollar $ignS. Samba may be providing the network connection, but it could be something in the way the system accesses the files at some point in the chain that causes unexpected behaviour.

I'll have to try accessing the files using a different network service (Maybe NFS over VPN or SSH tunnels) and try to access the files locally for debugging...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

operation420.net wrote: In Windows and a physical Linux box I can have filenames with mixed case and dollar $ignS.
Be careful with your terminology. The share name, i.e. the label used as an network identifier for a resource, is not the same as the name give by the native OS for that resource. Those identifiers are separate, with different rules for each.

And anyway files don't need share names. Files don't even exist as a network resource. Typically resources are shared folders, shared printers etc. Probably others exist, but those are the ones I use.

SMB (i.e. SAMBA) is a Windows protocol, so file names will generally have to correspond to Windows conventions. That said, AFAIK there's no problem at all including a $ sign in a Windows filename. That sounds more like a Linux restriction.