Slow download in Ubuntu vb

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mejk

Slow download in Ubuntu vb

Post by mejk »

As in topic, I have very slow (100kbps) download while downloading big files (300MB) but when i check the connection on some websites that can measure it, they always say that I'm 24ping 240MBPS download and 120MBPS upload, surfing goes well but not downloading. Any cause and how to improve it? Thank You.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Slow download in Ubuntu vb

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Try a download that is slow, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't personally find that the VM overhead makes much difference to network I/O speed, but mind you 240meg is a pretty fast Internet connection, and only having a 2:1 asymmetry is pretty good too. Are you sure about those numbers? IME home users wouldn't get those speeds, you'd only see that in medium businesses and universities.

I suggest you configure a "virtio-net" card type in the guest. That will eliminate the overhead of simulating a netword card at the register level. And your Ubuntu guest should already have virtio-net drivers.
CoconutPilot

Post by CoconutPilot »

I had a similar problem where guest to host copies were very slow and the solution was to change from virtio NICs to the Pro/1000 MT Desktop NICs. In theory the virtio NICs should be the fastest but apparently not. If you are using virtio NICs try changing it and report back if it makes a difference.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

CoconutPilot wrote:I had a similar problem where guest to host copies were very slow and the solution was to change from virtio NICs to the Pro/1000 MT Desktop NICs. In theory the virtio NICs should be the fastest but apparently not. If you are using virtio NICs try changing it and report back if it makes a difference.
Exactly so (as has been documented here in the past: we all know virtio *should* be faster - it just never actually *is* :P). However, the difference is nowhere near the sorts of numbers OP is talking about anyway. So either OP has a borked driver, or Something Else is going on. Either way OP's next step is to (1) Provide the log files etc, and (2) Use the search function to find any of the last few times this topic came up.

@mejk:

Note that, in general, "I download stuff from X and it's slow, but speed tests look fine" anecdotes almost never end well. If you want to test the network, you *need to* do it with LAN resources, period. Even without the vagaries of inet connections in general, sporadic issues with servers, ISPs, and so on make involving anything not under your own control an exercise in generating random numbers, not testing throughput.
The sheer scale of the difference you're seeing is so crazy that even that wouldn't account for it, but it's a much better place to work from. But, logs first. :)

(@mpack: I'm guessing "b", not "B" - that would be a fairly typical Scandi conn).
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Since the OP never actually says widespread the download problem is, I have suspected from the start that it's just one host. Like I said in my reply, 240meg IME is very fast. I wouldn't expect many sites to upload at that speed - which would be needed for you to be able to download at that speed.