USB -> VBox -> VmWare

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DaveT2929

USB -> VBox -> VmWare

Post by DaveT2929 »

Hi,

I'm trying to access a USB thumb drive through 2 layers of virtualization.

Physical Host - Ubuntu 20.04 - VmWare Workstation Pro v16

VmWare Guest/VBox Host - Debian 10.9 - VBox 6.1 w/Vbox extensions - Access to USB works from here

VBox guest - Debian 10.9 - VBox Guest additions - Can't see the USB device from the VBox host.

Everything is latest version and patches.

I know that this is not a typical use case and any solution would be totally unsupported, but I was hoping that someone out there has tried this and got it working. Googling has been unproductive.

Thanks,

Dave

BTW - I've used both VBox and VmWare for years, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert on either.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB -> VBox -> VmWare

Post by mpack »

I would not expect this to work. Also, VirtualBox does not supported nested VM unless VirtualBox is both sides of the equation. Anything else leaves just too much outside of the dev's control.
DaveT2929

Post by DaveT2929 »

Yeah, in theory, I don't see why it wouldn't work. But there's a often a big gap between theory and reality, especially in technology. :-)

I have alternative solutions to my larger problem, but this would have been the simplest and cheapest if it worked.

I'm just holding out hope that someone tech-ier than me has figured it out.

Thanks,

Dave
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Another thought occurs is: does it need to be a USB drive at all? All host drives can be accessed as shares, including removeable drives, and this would also remove the double dip USB emulation.
DaveT2929

Post by DaveT2929 »

mpack wrote:Another thought occurs is: does it need to be a USB drive at all? All host drives can be accessed as shares, including removeable drives, and this would also remove the double dip USB emulation.
This is one of my alternate solutions, but it will only cover about 75-80% of my needs. To cover 100%, I'm probably going to have to invest in some more hardware which is what I'm trying to avoid. But it's looking likely. And in the long run, probably best to bite the bullet now and just do it. Because even if I can get thumb drives to work, there's no guarantee that other, more interactive, devices would work (tablets, phones, etc).

I appreciate your thoughts. But I knew this was a long shot from the start.

Thanks,

Dave