cinnamon without hardware rendering

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kkshethin
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

cinnamon without hardware rendering

Post by kkshethin »

In latest linuxmint 20.1cinnamon/fedora 34 cinnamon iso cannot start if enable 3d hardware acceleration is selected in display in virtualbox setting.
Further if i deselect this option, iso boots but with message that cinnamon is running without hardware rendering etc. I have searched similar other threads(some has been marked as solved) but could not find any answer
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: cinnamon without hardware rendering

Post by mpack »

What ISO are you referring to? The installer? If so then leave 3D acceleration disabled until the guest OS is installed and the Guest Additions are also installed.

I also suggest that you install guests properly, don't run live CDs.
leop

Post by leop »

As reported in another thread, Cinnamon does not run correctly with 3D acceleration enabled (VMSVGA) in a Windows host with a Fedora 34 guest. Yes, everything is installed correctly, including the extension pack and guest additions. Everything works correctly with a Fedora 33 guest. I do not know if the problem is with Fedora 34 or Virtualbox 6.1.22 (or both) but there definitely is a problem (and not a problem with installation). I have held off updating to Fedora 34 from Fedora 33 at this time to avoid the problem.
kkshethin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

Post by kkshethin »

mpack wrote:What ISO are you referring to? The installer? If so then leave 3D acceleration disabled until the guest OS is installed and the Guest Additions are also installed.

I also suggest that you install guests properly, don't run live CDs.
It haapens with live iso and also after installation.