Gasterweiterung verstellt Benutzereinstellungen (Guest Additions changes user settings)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Miesmuschel

Gasterweiterung verstellt Benutzereinstellungen (Guest Additions changes user settings)

Post by Miesmuschel »

Hallo,

wenn die Gasterweiterungen 6.1.16 für eine VM mit Mint 20.1 xfce installiere, dann sind nach dem Reboot so ziemlich alle Desktopeinstellungen überschrieben. Das Hintergrundbild, Systemschriftart, Taskleiste, Desktopicons, ... Alles ist verstellt.

Gibt es vielleicht Parameter, die man bei der Installation der Gasterweiterungen verwenden kann, damit die Einstellungen unangetastet bleiben?
Last edited by scottgus1 on 11. Jun 2021, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to Linux Guests, translated title to English
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Gasterweiterung verstellt Benutzereinstellungen

Post by scottgus1 »

Miesmuschel wrote:wenn die Gasterweiterungen 6.1.16 für eine VM mit Mint 20.1 xfce installiere

if the guest additions 6.1.16 install xfce for a VM with Mint 20.1, then pretty much all desktop settings are overwritten
This sentence translates to English in a way that sounds like: "Guest Additions installs xfce, which causes problems". To the best of my knowledge I have never read that Guest Additions changes the Linux desktop environment.

It is possible to apparently overwrite an entire Linux VM by leaving the Linux Live CD in the drive and continuing to boot from the Live CD.

Alternatively, the Guest Additions install Virtualbox drivers for the VM's virtual video card. This might cause a reset of the desktop environment if the Linux OS does that sort of thing when a video driver is changed.

Do the desktops settings stay in place after Guest Additions are installed and the VM is rebooted?
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

Sorry, I've forgotten a word. The sentence should be:
"Wenn ICH die Gasterweiterungen 6.1.16 für eine VM mit Mint 20.1 xfce installiere, dann sind nach dem Reboot so ziemlich alle Desktopeinstellungen überschrieben. "

But I think you've understood the problem.
The behaviour is like that:
Before Guest Addtions (GA) are installed I see the normal desktop of "Mint 20.1 xfce" and the shared folders from the host are not visible in the filemanager.
After installing GA the shared folders are visible (without reboot) and the Desktop is unchanged.
After a reboot the Desktop is changed (Backround, panels, icons, fonts, ...). There are no more signs of Mint visible. Maybe it is the standard of stock xfce or xubuntu or whatever.

You mentioned the grafic card driver and there is another issue that could relate to the other.
When I try to change the resolution with "xrandr" there are error messages and it doesn't work independently of installed GA.
xrandr reports: "Failed to get size of gamma for output default"

A VM with "Mint 18.3 xfce x64" works fine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This one looks deeper into Linux than I know how to go. I think this will benefit from the Linux Guests subforum, there may be more traffic there.