OpenSuse 15.2 Linux Guest display screen is not resized

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sandy2021

OpenSuse 15.2 Linux Guest display screen is not resized

Post by sandy2021 »

Hi,

My setup:
Host OS - Mac OS - Catalina - 10.15.7 (Intel)
Virtual Box Version - 6.1.22
Guest OS - OpenSUSE 15.2
I have installed Guest additions as well.

Issue: My Linux Guest display screen is very small and not getting resized automatically when I stretch the window.
I tried different combinations of Graphics controller, Scale Factor, Video memory in Virtual Box settings and also tried changing resolution in Virtual box preferences.
But those combinations didn't resolve the issue.
Also if I change scale factor to 200% or 300%, screen size increases but that looks like I did zoom to view that with big size icons and all.
Am I missing something to install or update?

Also, in near future, we may upgrade to Big Sur and I don't see that as a supported Host OS in manual. Is that true or may be not updated the list yet?

Thank you in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: OpenSuse 15.2 Linux Guest display screen is not resized

Post by scottgus1 »

sandy2021 wrote:I have installed Guest additions as well.
Guest Additions are required for a fully sizable VM screen. Let's see if they are running correctly.

Put the VM's video card back to VMSVGA, max out Video RAM. Try the VM again, reboot a couple times to get the VM to fully recognize the video card with GAs. If this does not get the screen resizable, start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
sandy2021 wrote:we may upgrade to Big Sur
Read through the Mac Hosts forum. Some folks run Virtualbox on Big Sur, some have trouble. I don't grok Mac enough to know how to fix it, but the gurus on Mac Hosts will help.

My recommendation on an unpredictable-outcome host OS change: do it on a different host drive. Switch your physical drive with Catalina out of the Mac * and put in a new drive, and install Big Sur & Virtualbox on the new drive. You'll be able to roll back to the old Catalina drive if Big Sur tanks for you.

* or at least take a couple complete full restorable disk images with Mac-compatible 3rd-party software & practice restoring to an alternate drive
sandy2021

Post by sandy2021 »

Thank you for the response.
I have tried as you said and attached the log.

Below option seems to be working a bit better:
Along with the setting you have mentioned,
View - Scaled mode
Display settings -
Resolution - 2560 x 1600 (16:10)
Scale - 200%

Can you please check the log and also above settings and let me know what would be the ideal solution?
Thank you once again.
Attachments
OpenSuse 15.2-2021-06-09-19-50-09.log.zip
(29.15 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. Video setup seems good now. The Guest Additions didn't install, unless you specifically tired to put in the 6.0.0 GAs:
00:00:19.836588 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
6.0.0 may be in there because many Linux distros preinstall the GAs under the assumption the OS will be installed in a Virtualbox VM. The preinstalled GAs are often very out of date, as your VM's are.

Any Virtualbox or Guest Additions install in Linux-land needs prerequisites, see virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#install-linux-prereq

Also, many modern OS's don't autorun the Guest Additions "CD" when it is inserted into the VM's CD drive with the VM window's Devices menu Insert Guest Additions CD Image command. After the prerequisites, you have to run the CD installer per your OS's normal methods.