More IP issues unable to ping host and vice versa

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Studentologe

More IP issues unable to ping host and vice versa

Post by Studentologe »

Hi all,
I'm having the issue many have reported before and I have read through many forum entries, trying to locate the issue's root cause and apply a fix.

The following setup:
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS guest on WIndows10 host.

Network adapter 1:
Bridged to wireless adapter, promiscuous mode Allow all, cable connected

Network adapter 2:
nat, cable connected, Adapter, Intel pro Desktop

Host:
Wireless adapter DHCP enable, no fixed IP
Host Only adapter DHCP enable, no fixed IP
-> also tried assigning unique ip addresses in same subnet to both adapter and inside the guest

Issue is that I only get internet access with my guest, as long as I use NAT on the first adapter, but that won't allow me access to the host network and I'm unable to ping devices on that network and vice versa.

Firewall exceptions have been added to the host, and firewall also has been disabled. So that shouldn't be standing in the way.

I have no clue what else I can try, all I know is that my device at 192.168.1.2 is unable to ping the guest, and my guest is unable to ping the device at 192.168.1.2
Any

I can ping google, but not the other internal ip
Attachments
Adapter2.PNG
Adapter2.PNG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Adapter1.PNG
Adapter1.PNG (27.51 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: More IP issues unable to ping host and vice versa

Post by scottgus1 »

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.

Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi. An anecdotal possibility to get around this is to set a proper static IP address in the VM, in the IP range served by the host's LAN.

The VM OS should be able to ping out through NAT to the host's LAN devices by IP address, not by device network name, if the device being pinged does not have a firewall blocking Ping or ICMP Echo Request. It is not possible to ping the VM through NAT.

If you are using NAT, then once you have internet in the VM you can ping the LAN router, Google at 8.8.8.8, etc.

If the above does not help, do these things:

1. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

2. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the hardening log next to it, zip them, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

3. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

4. In the Windows OS, open a Command Prompt and run ipconfig /all. Post the command output.

5. In the Linux OS, open a Terminal and run ifconfig or ip address. Post the command output.