USB filter not being picked up by Linux host unless i detach and re attach

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Darren Scott

USB filter not being picked up by Linux host unless i detach and re attach

Post by Darren Scott »

Hi everyone...posting here as i have literally had my belly full of this particular issue and have exhausted pretty much every online resource i can find. Have a win 10 host running virtual box. Have a linux (Ubuntu 64 bit) guest that i am running home assistant on. Bought a USB Conbee II stick for zigbee and need the linux host to be able to see the device. Device shows up in Windows on COM 3, have mapped USB filter to the linux guest and it all looks fine. Boot the guest and its there at the bottom of the screen looking all fine an dandy but it does not work. However if i detach the USB in the guest, wait a few seconds and reattach and then restart my home assistant app running in the linux guest workspace then its fine!. Have been looking at this for about 6 days now, spent far too many hours on it. Been through the USB troubleshooting top to bottom and back to front but its odd, as it shows correctly. Some have mentioned mapping the usb as serial connection but whatever i am doing thats not working at all, maybe i misunderstood how to do that.

When i start the guest from cold, the home assistant app that is trying to use the USB causes a failed to set dtr/rts error.

Have ensured i have the virtualbox usb driver installed on the host as well.

Any help, and i mean any help....would be wonderful, its driving me bonkers!

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Here is the dtr/rts error on the guest
Here is the dtr/rts error on the guest
rts.JPG (52.5 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Here we see its captured ok
Here we see its captured ok
capture.JPG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Here is the filter i created which seems to pass through
Here is the filter i created which seems to pass through
filter.JPG (42.36 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB filter not being picked up by Linux host unless i detach and re attach

Post by scottgus1 »

Please provide the troubleshooting info the USB Basics tutorial call for.