sltPerformGuestResize defaults to 720x400

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
hsweeten

sltPerformGuestResize defaults to 720x400

Post by hsweeten »

Hello All,

I recently update VirtualBox to Version 6.1.20 r143896 (running host in Windows 10).

After doing that my Linux VM always defaults to 720x400 when it starts. I have to manually resize it every time to maximize the view on my 4K monitor.

Before the update (don't remember what version I was using before) the screen always resized to the last size I was running it at before shutdown.

What do I need to do to get the sltPerformGuestResize to restore the screen size correctly?

Thanks,
Hartley
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: sltPerformGuestResize defaults to 720x400

Post by scottgus1 »

If you haven't tried to start the VM four or more times, the old logs in the VM's Logs folder might tell you what version you were running, see the first line of the log.

Please zip the most recent log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Attached is the current log.

Also, I just noticed that the VM is hung.

My PC clock says it's 3:02 PM and the VM clock says it's 2:45 PM. The VM clock time has not changed in the last 5 min since I noticed it.

The VM was working fine, other than the view size issue, since I started it this morning. Last time I was using it was just after 1:00 PM.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Update on the VM being hung.

It just started responding again at PC clock time 3:09 PM. All of a sudden the time on the VM updated. It was a little sluggish at first but now it seems to be working OK.

Any ideas on what would cause the 20 min+ hang?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

after you get Hyper-V turned off per the above, if the VM has trouble again, please post another log.
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Hyper-V being enabled may be part of why the VM hangs. Fine. Note, Hyper-V was also enabled with the last version I had installed. Everything was still working fine with that version.

That doesn't fix the issue with the VM starting up at 720x400 instead of the last used setting.

Side question about Hyper-V. Why does virtualbox not with with Hyper-V enabled? I have no issues with my VMs that run with VMware. Unfortunately, this particular VM is a real old (created sometime around 2008) legacy machine that I use to support an old PowerPC product. I really don't want to try and get it working with VMware.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

hsweeten wrote:Why does virtualbox not with with Hyper-V enabled?
HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active) wrote:Normally Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. Hyper-V is a type-1 hypervisor, which accesses the hardware first before any OS runs, and therefore interferes with other programs that need "virtualization technology", like Virtualbox, which is a type-2 Hypervisor.

Your PC is of the type and OS where Virtualbox can attempt to run the guest using the Hyper-V engine. This arrangement is still being developed and isn't 100% yet.
Disabling Hyper-V is the forum's go-to for getting a pure Virtualbox environment escpecially when there are hung VMs under active Hyper-V.
hsweeten wrote:That doesn't fix the issue with the VM starting up at 720x400
It was never intended to. We can't fix anything in a VM that hangs. Seems you missed this part?
scottgus1 wrote:after you get Hyper-V turned off per the above, if the VM has trouble again, please post another log.
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Ok. I disabled Hyper-V. FYI, the VM seems to run quite a bit slower with it disabled.

Still have the issue where the screen size is only 720x400 after booting. Attached is the log.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Your VM has proper Guest Additions installed. I don't see any problems in the operation of the VM. Since you are able to change the screen-size after the VM boots, maybe that change can be scripted in the VM OS's start-up sequence, web-search the VM OS's help channels for how.

Additionally, the VM should go to 4K if it is put into Full-Screen.

There may be a video mode hint in the VM's .vbox file. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Hello,

I just updated VirtualBox to the latest 6.1.22 r 144080 version. I also updated the Guest Additions.

Still have the same problem with the initial screen size being small. It does resize ok if I manually adjust it, that also worked with the previous version. But the version I had installed before all of this would properly start with the last screen size that I used. Strange...

Attached is the .vbox file.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Side note. My Windows 8.1 VM does properly start with the last screen size.
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

Oops... Just noticed there are 2 .vbox files in the directory.

Attached is the one with todays timestamp.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

OK. Now I'm totally confused.

I realized I had not updated the Guest Additions on the Linux VM, I did update them on the WIndows VM.

So, I updated the Guest Additions and rebooted the VM. The screen resize properly after the reboot, yeah!

I then shutdown the VM and restarted it. That time the screen came up at the 720x400 size, boo!

I don't get it....
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VM configuration, set Display > Screen > Graphics Controller to VMSVGA. Additionally, execute the following commands from a command prompt:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" setextradata "Tommotek CentOS 6.5 Linux Development" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1920,1080"
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" setextradata "Tommotek CentOS 6.5 Linux Development" "GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" ""
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" setextradata "Tommotek CentOS 6.5 Linux Development" "GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition" ""
This will delete some problematic values, which will be automatically recreated later on. Then start the VM, change the display resolution and shut down the guest OS. Afterwards, the last used display resolution should be saved.

Edit:
Corrected command syntax above.
Last edited by fth0 on 4. May 2021, 17:50, edited 3 times in total.
hsweeten

Post by hsweeten »

fth0,

Did as you suggested. Now the VM does not boot completely.

I get a login screen then it starts to create the desktop and hangs. Nothing on the screen except the background and an information dialog that says:

VBoxClient: Could not find symbol address (x11Context.pXRRGetMonitors)

It's been about 5 minutes without any change. The mouse pointer does move around on the screen.

According to the VBox.log the screen is 800x600, better than the 720x400 I was getting before but still not right.

00:01:04.418274 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=000000000cc90000 w=800 h=600 bpp=32 cbLine=0xC80 flags=0x1 origin=0,0

With the previous Graphics Controller selection I would also get some information dialogs about not finding symbol addresses but it would at least boot.

If I remember correctly, I tried the various Graphics Controller options and the only one that would boot was the one I had previously.