Will there be any problem if I choose the wrong system version when install guest?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
lindeshun

Will there be any problem if I choose the wrong system version when install guest?

Post by lindeshun »

I chose Debian(64-bit) when creating the new guest, but installed a 32-bit debian system. Now the guest works all fine. Is there any bad effect for doing this?

P.S.
I tried to change the version to 32-bit in general setting, but that will cause "a critical error" while booting the guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Will there be any problem if I choose the wrong system version when install guest?

Post by mpack »

No, there shouldn't be any ill effects. Generally speaking the 64-bit templates will require more resources from the host than the 32bit templates. If the host can spare those extra resources then - no problemo.

In general, there is no requirement that you can only install a 64bit OS into 64bit-capable PCs. People install 32bit OS into physical 64-bit capable PCs all the time. The PC doesn't care...
lindeshun

Re: Will there be any problem if I choose the wrong system version when install guest?

Post by lindeshun »

mpack wrote:No, there shouldn't be any ill effects.
Thank you!
Last edited by mpack on 19. Apr 2021, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim verbatim quote.