Parrot OS continuously take screenshots...

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ShibA

Parrot OS continuously take screenshots...

Post by ShibA »

Hi
I use Windows 10 Pro as the host. I try to run Parrot OS in VM Virtual Box. I set up everything and logged in to Parrot System.
Then I got a problem when I press backspace twice or more, then the system automatically takes screenshots repeatedly & completely freeze the entire system(Parrot).
now I didn't use the terminal or other things that need backspace.

Here is some info about my Host system -

HP Laptop
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i5 8250u 1.6 GHz (up to 3.4 GHz) Processor
8 GB RAM
240 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD
Intel UHD 620 & Nvidea Geforce MX 110 GPU

* Other Linux Distributions are working completely fine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Parrot OS continuously take screenshots...

Post by scottgus1 »

ShibA wrote:the system automatically takes screenshots repeatedly
Can you please explain which 'system' is doing this? Virtualbox or Parrot? How do you know it's taking screenshots?

If it is the Virtualbox window that freezes, we'll need some data to proceed. Please start the VM from full shut down, not saved state. Trigger the problem using the backspaces, then close the VM window with the Power Off option set. Then put all these files in a zip folder and post the zip using the forum's Upload Attachment tab:

C:\Users\{accountname}\.Virtualbox\Virtualbox.xml
the .vbox file from the Parrot VM's folder
'vbox.log' and 'vboxhardening.log' from the Parrot VM's Logs subfolder
a .vbox file from a working Linux VM

(Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the VM folder does not show a .vbox file.)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is indeed a process in VirtualBox that continually takes screenshots - for the preview window in the VM manager. It will start when the VM starts, unless disabled. I don't believe this could cause VM lockups, since AFAIK it's just a thumbnail version of the display window.
ShibA

Post by ShibA »

files
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(244.37 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 22. Apr 2021, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire previous post, please use "Post Reply"
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the files.

The .vbox files were really the .vbox-prev's, which were for a previous run of the VMs. You probably don't have all extensions showing?
scottgus1 wrote:(Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the VM folder does not show a .vbox file.)
There do not seem to be any screen-shotting settings in either the Kali or Parrot .vbox-prev's.

The Parrot log does not show any troubles in the VM operation. However it did show a crash of Virtualbox after the OS had shut down and while Virtualbox was cleaning up. The crash was from a hardening problem, possibly caused by the Avase AV. Try uninstalling, not just disabling, Avast, then try the VM again.

We still need clarification on:
scottgus1 wrote:Can you please explain which 'system' is doing this? Virtualbox or Parrot? How do you know it's taking screenshots?
ShibA

Post by ShibA »

scottgus1 wrote:Can you please explain which 'system' is doing this? Virtualbox or Parrot? How do you know it's taking screenshots?
I think it's Virtualbox because it happens after installing gest addition pkg.
And one more thing I noticed that when I use my inbuilt keyboard, then any os will be frozen (everything works except keyboard input, like using mouse start any program or close program) but with the additional keyboard, it works fine.
And also I did everything with Avast (Disable & Uninstall it) nothing change.
Attachments
Screenshoot.jpg
Screenshoot.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

ShibA wrote:I think it's Virtualbox
The 'Save Screenshot' window looks like the Parrot OS window border, not the Windows 10 host OS window border as seen in the Virtualbox window border. It looks to me like this is Parrot taking the screenshot, not Virtualbox. Evidence of this would be seen in where the screenshot is to be saved. The host OS or Virtualbox cannot save a screenshot in the VM's disk, nor can Parrot save on the host's disk. Where does the screenshot want to be saved, in the host's disk or the VM's disk? If the VM, it is a Parrot glitch that we might not be able to fix.

As a test, make a new Parrot VM with a fresh install of the OS, see if the problem happens there too,