raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JB007

raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Post by JB007 »

vbox.log
(88.58 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Getting the error while starting the VM. raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Oracle Virtual Box - VirtualBox-5.2.8-121009-Win.exe. (After installing i am able to see only 32bit OS while creating VM.)
Created a VM with Ubuntu32bit.
While starting the VM getting the error - raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Host OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit OS.
CPU: Supports Intel Virtualization
BIOS: Enabled Intel Virtualization Vtx and VT-d
Hyper-V - Unchecked
Windows Hypervisor - unchecked
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity - set 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|DeviceGuard|EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity|Enabled - set it to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\CredentialGuard - set to 0
Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard
> Turn on Virtualization Based Security - set to Disabled
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Post by mpack »

For the Hyper-v issue see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

VirtualBox 5.2.8? (released Feb 2018). That passed EOL quite some time ago.

And this is not helping either:
00:00:03.154864 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.1.18 r142142; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP unusable because of 'VBoxExtPackVMRegister returned VERR_VERSION_MISMATCH, pReg=0000000000000000 ErrInfo='Helper version mismatch - expected 0x3 got 0x10002'')
Extension pack version must match the host software version. They must never under any circumstances be from a newer version of the software. I hope the Guest Additions are not the same - I can't tell now because the log doesn't get that far.
JB007

Re: raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v. (verr_supdrv_no_raw_mode_hyper_v_root)

Post by JB007 »

vbox.log
(77.37 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Now I took VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win and installed.
Created a VM using Ubuntu OS - ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64

While Starting VM a blank screen appears with a cursor blink.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Your host still has Hyper-V enabled.
JB007

Post by JB007 »

vbox.7z
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Disabled the Hyper-V. still the issue. seeing the blank screen.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

JB007 wrote:
vbox.7z
Disabled the Hyper-V.
No, you did not.
00:00:06.659935 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.834261 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
The first line of the first reply in this thread gave you a link to a FAQ. Please read it.

In future, please check whether the log still contains this line. There is no point in asking your question again if you have not followed the FAQ and thus disabled Hyper-v.
JB007

Post by JB007 »

followed all the steps.
- Virtualization is enabled in BIOS
- Disabled Hyper-V/ Hyper-V Platform
- Disabled Windows Hypervisor
- ran bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity - and set to 0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\CredentialGuard\Enabled - and set to 0
- HKLM|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|DeviceGuard|EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity|Enabled and set it to 0

Still i get the issue - WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE in the log file. and hence failing to open the VM.

Not sure what else i need to check and configure.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The tutorial mentions that unchecking things in "Windows Features" doesn't help, but you tried it anyway.

Also not mentioned are the Dism command or the shutdown command, or the power off & unplug?
JB007

Post by JB007 »

vbox.7z
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
- Uninstalled Docker
- Virtualization is enabled in BIOS
- Disabled Hyper-V/ Hyper-V Platform
- Disabled Windows Hypervisor
- ran bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
- ran DISM /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity - and set to 0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\CredentialGuard\Enabled - and set to 0
- HKLM|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|DeviceGuard|EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity|Enabled and set it to 0
- shutdown -s -t 2 . shut for 2 min.

still on the log - WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE.

Attached log, if anything you can find out that i need to verify on my end.
otherwise we can close this thread, there may be some issue with my laptop.

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Definitely still have Hyper-V. After shutdown, did you pull the battery out of the laptop?

Is this a company laptop that the IT overlords have inserted their tendrils into?
JB007

Post by JB007 »

This is my office laptop. There may be some restriction might have been imposed by IT.
I will talk with IT will update if i get anything.

Thanks for all reply.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

JB007 wrote:This is my office laptop.
Sounds good. This too was covered by the tutorial:
If your computer is running in a corporate environment with IT overlords, they may have forced Hyper-V, and none of the above will help. You will have to get IT to turn off Hyper-V so that you can run Virtualbox.