Kali install stuck/freezing

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Silence_intensifies

Kali install stuck/freezing

Post by Silence_intensifies »

As the title suggests im trying to install kali but during the installation process it freezes/gets stuck at a certain point. on the screen it says "Configuring man-db (i386)". any info on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
i am trying to install kali to learn how security on systems work so this is quite important to me.
if the specifications of my pc are needed i am running a ryzen 5 3600, 32 gb of 3200Mhz DDR4 ram and a radeon 5700 xt.
As for settings i've changed in oracle VBox i changes the storage allocated for kali to be 20GB and ram to be 2GB (2048mb)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kali install stuck/freezing

Post by mpack »

Your question seems to concern a Linux guest, but you posted the question in the "Linux Hosts" forum. What is your host OS?

In fact, please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Silence_intensifies

Post by Silence_intensifies »

Sorry. i didnt realise the difference between the two treads/sections. my host os is windows 10 64 bit. below i have attached the zip you requested below aswell
Attachments
kali.zip
Zip requested
(28.36 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "Linux Guests".

You chose the "Ubuntu (32bit)" template. Is Kali derived from Ubuntu? I would be surprised, and again if it's really a 32bit OS.

I would have expected "Debian (64bit)" to be the correct template choice.

You need to increase graphics RAM to something useful. 16MB doesn't cut it in 2021.

A second CPU core would be good also.

Finally, this is a big no-no.
00:00:02.322254 VirtualBox VM 6.1.18 r142142 win.amd64 (Jan 7 2021 15:32:19) release log
00:00:02.366826 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.1.16 r140961; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
Extension pack plugin version must always match the version of the software it plugs into.

I note that the VM is booting from virtual CD, meaning you can make any changes to the OS. But I don't know much about Kali, perhaps that's how you're supposed to use it.