SOLVED: Strange issue with Arch installs and Cinnamon DE; software rendering mode only

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Strange issue with Arch installs and Cinnamon DE; software rendering mode only

Post by fth0 »

I'm not familiar with an Arch install, but with Linux installs in general. You can provide me with anything you've readily available (e.g. the lists and scripts you mentioned). I already know the VM settings from the VB_Arch_with_cinnamon_fail_2021-04-04-11-22-13.log file in your initial post.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Strange issue with Arch installs and Cinnamon DE; software rendering mode only

Post by mpack »

I hesitate to mention it (because I hate it when others say that something incompatible is working for them), but I recently installed Manjaro, which I understand is basically a fork of Arch. They have several DE variants listed - I installed the first listed variant with XFCE and I'm very impressed how lean and clean it is - I checked today to see if Cinnamon was offered, but oddly enough it is not, though presumably there must have been one in the past since I've seen mention of it on forums.
Jack21
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win 7, Win 11, Arch Linux, Debian, Slackware, Arco

Post by Jack21 »

mpack wrote:I hesitate to mention it (because I hate it when others say that something incompatible is working for them), but I recently install Manjaro, which I understand is basically a fork of Arch. They have several DE variants listed - I installed the first listed variant with XFCE and I'm very impressed how lean and clean it is - I checked today to see if Cinnamon was offered, but oddly enough it is not, though presumably there must have been one in the past since I've seen mention of it on forums.
Yeah Cinnamon is still there: https://manjaro.org/download/#cinnamon :wink:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You mean in the unofficial (community) list? Yes, I see that. I was just surprised there is no official offering. Perhaps the mention I saw in the forums was also of the community offering.
Jack21

Post by Jack21 »

mpack wrote:You mean in the unofficial (community) list? Yes, I see that. I was just surprised there is no official offering. Perhaps the mention I saw in the forums was also of the community offering.
Just for kicks I downloaded and installed to VM's Manjaro's XFCE and Cinnamon flavors. Upon booting into the freshly installed VM DE's, the Cinnamon flavor complained the same as the description of my issue in my OP. However, I did NOT see any issues or complaining with the XFCE DE. Interesting.
Jack21

Re: Strange issue with Arch installs and Cinnamon DE; software rendering mode only SOLVED

Post by Jack21 »

Time to wrap this thread up and file it the SOLVED cabinet.

Just updated VB from 6.1.26 to 6.1.28. Noticed in the changelog they worked on a fix for: MSVGA: Fixed display corruption on Linux Mint (bug #20513)

After updating both VB its Guest Additions for all my VM's, I am no longer experiencing the issue as per my OP. Would like to say THANK YOU to the devs involved that finally put this issue to rest. :D

Jack21