Problem starting ECOS system from UEFI Shell console

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
j.paradinas

Problem starting ECOS system from UEFI Shell console

Post by j.paradinas »

Hi all,

I am trying to start in VirtualBox (installed on a Windows 10 Host) a ECOS system (Linux) from a USB boot stick. I have followed some instructions to create the .vmdk file pointing to the usb file and in a SATA storage device (image attached).

There is no ECOS OS listed in VirtualBox so I have tried multiple options (other, Linux, Ubuntu etc)

I have seen in my boot stick that there is an EFI file in the EFI/BOOT folder so I believe that I need to start the system in the UEFI shell console. When I load it and I execute the .efi file nothing happens. There are no errors but the system is not started. I have also changed the boot order in the UEFI boot manager with no luck.

Can anybody help me to start the system in VirtualBox?

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
shell.png
shell.png (39.18 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
uefi.jpg
uefi.jpg (74.05 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
storage.jpg
storage.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem starting ECOS system from UEFI Shell console

Post by mpack »

Cross posting is against the forum rules. Your cross post of this discussion in the "Windows Hosts" forum has been deleted.
j.paradinas

Post by j.paradinas »

I am sorry, I was not sure to which thread it belonged. I was planning to delete the wrong one.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

First of all, the eCos that I know about is no Linux OS. Secondly, it exists in variants for many CPUs. Are you trying out eCos for Intel x86 CPUs? Otherwise, it cannot run in a VirtualBox VM. If yes, I'm not saying that it will work, though.

As an alternative procedure, in the UEFI Shell, enter the "exit" command. In the UEFI Boot Manager, try executing the .efi files. Does it succeed that way? If not, provide a zipped VBox.log file.