Can see the Ubuntu Desktop but cannot click on anything or run anything on the Ubuntu VirtualBox VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SimplySkud

Can see the Ubuntu Desktop but cannot click on anything or run anything on the Ubuntu VirtualBox VM

Post by SimplySkud »

Hi All,

I'm running VirtualBox 6.1.18. After upgrading my Ubuntu VM (20.04), something seems to have happened to it during a freeze/crash. When I load the Ubuntu VirtualBox VM, it loads fine and once I login to it, I can see the VirtualBox desktop fine but I cannot do anything on it. I cannot click on it. Looks like I cannot get into the OS/VM, as all my clicks register on the main VM boundary.

Attaching a screenshot of the VirtualBox VM settings, the VirtualBox VM desktop screenshot (that I see but I cannot click on any individual utility) and the log file that I saved for a new session (login and ending the session).

Would appreciate any help or direction provided.

Thanks in advance,
SimplySkud.
Attachments
VirtualBox VM-2021-03-30-18-56-02.zip
Log file
(33.47 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
SimplySkud

Re: Can see the Ubuntu Desktop but cannot click on anything or run anything on the Ubuntu VirtualBox

Post by SimplySkud »

Here's the screenshot of the settings for the VirtualBox VM
Attachments
Virtualbox VM settings.PNG
Virtualbox VM settings.PNG (30.06 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
SimplySkud

Re: Can see the Ubuntu Desktop but cannot click on anything or run anything on the Ubuntu VirtualBox

Post by SimplySkud »

Here's the screenshot of the VirtualBox VM desktop that I can see after login but cannot click on anything inside of the VM
Attachments
VirtualBox VM Desktop.jpg
VirtualBox VM Desktop.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see anything particularly wrong in the log, except for the non-default install location of Virtualbox.

The VM environment that holds the Ubuntu OS seems to keep running correctly.
SimplySkud wrote:After upgrading my Ubuntu VM (20.04), something seems to have happened to it during a freeze/crash.
Could be something within the OS itself. Try a fresh new VM, same Ubuntu ISO and VM settings. If the problem does not happen with the new VM, switch the drive files between the two VMs. If the problem switches to the new VM, then it is really the OS that is broken.
SimplySkud

Post by SimplySkud »

I want to reuse the vdi file because of the contents that I have in it.

I'm thinking this is an issue with Guest Additions so I tried to re-install it again.

This is where I'm stuck now - somehow I need to get the "run" option clicked. Please see the screenshot.

Can anyone suggest how can I get the GuestAdditions.iso installed/run without being able to run any command or click within the VM ?
Attachments
VBox Guest Additions Install.jpg
VBox Guest Additions Install.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 3828 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You wont be able to solve the 2nd problem until you solve the 1st one... Can't click Run until you can click.

The purpose of the new VM is to see if this problem exists in Virtualbox on the host. I would again suggest you try it. If the new VM works, and you choose to not try to troubleshoot the old one, you can attach the old drive to the new VM as a second drive to get the data off.
SimplySkud

Post by SimplySkud »

scottgus1 wrote:I don't see anything particularly wrong in the log, except for the non-default install location of Virtualbox.

The VM environment that holds the Ubuntu OS seems to keep running correctly.
SimplySkud wrote:After upgrading my Ubuntu VM (20.04), something seems to have happened to it during a freeze/crash.
Could be something within the OS itself. Try a fresh new VM, same Ubuntu ISO and VM settings. If the problem does not happen with the new VM, switch the drive files between the two VMs. If the problem switches to the new VM, then it is really the OS that is broken.
I tried this. A new fresh VM works fine. Switching the drive between the two VMs brings back the issue to the new VM (can see the desktop but cannot perform any action).

Can you please send me the link to the documentation to add/mount additional drives and move contents between multiple drives for the VM ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

SimplySkud wrote:Switching the drive between the two VMs brings back the issue to the new VM
OK, so this means the problem is inside the old VM's OS, not in the Virtualbox 'hardware'. Thanks for trying this!

To add the old VM's drive to the new VM, open the new VM's Storage settings.
The new VM's drive should be already attached to the drive controller.
Click that drive controller, and click the final icon that has the tooltip "Add Hard Disk".
Click "Choose Existing Disk".
A list of all disk files in the VM will appear, and the old VM's disk should be there. Click it, then click Choose. Now the VM will have both drives available.

Boot the new VM. You will have to figure out how to mount the new disk in the VM's OS, I don't know how to do that. Once you have that disk mounted, you should be able to copy the data over.
SimplySkud

Post by SimplySkud »

Thanks scottgus1, appreciate all the help.