Can't type the Pipe (|) symbol

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Pickle Sandwich

Can't type the Pipe (|) symbol

Post by Pickle Sandwich »

Problem: For some reason the pipe (|) backslash (\) key next to my left shift key does not produce either | or \ as expected but < or > instead. :?

Setup:
This is a United Kingdom configured PC using UK language and location settings. I'm running VirtualBox 6.1.18 (installed on 15 March 2021) on a Windows 10 Pro PC (10.0.19042 Build 19042). My PC runs an i7-4770 CPU 3.4GHz 4 Core and 32GB RAM, 64-bit. My VirtualBox VM is provisioned with 8GB RAM, 4 processors and is running Red Hat (64-bit).

Situation: I'm trying to run Anomali's STAXX VM (a free Cyber Threat Intelligence service that lets you play with STIX and TAXII). I can run the Anomali_STAXX_v3.4.0.ova and get into the STAXX VM. But once I'm in I cannot type the (|) pipe symbol!!!

Troubleshooting I have done so far:

1. I have read 7 webpages on this subject that, sadly, this forum won't let me post the links to (You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.) :(
2. I've read a post elsewhere on this forum and another 6 webpages on this issue but none of them have provided me with a functioning solution.
3. I have wondered if this is a host PC issue and made changes, but with no luck.
4. I have tried to identify other keyboard combinations but without any success.

Possible reasons for my problem:
- I might just be missing something really obvious.
- There might be an alternative key combination I haven't found.
- It could be the UK vs VM keyboard settings that I haven't actually resolved (although I believe I have).
- Something else completely that I haven't thought of.

This is hugely frustrating and stopping me from being able to progress my learning. :(

I really hope there is someone out there who can help! :D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't type the Pipe (|) symbol

Post by mpack »

Keyboards don't generate characters, they generate switch codes (numbers). It is up to the operating system to look up a keyboard table that maps codes to characters.

You have the wrong keyboard map configured in the guest OS.
Pickle Sandwich

Re: Can't type the Pipe (|) symbol

Post by Pickle Sandwich »

Cheers mpack.

I'll look at that as my next course of action. Much appreciated.