Please help linux manjaro blackscreen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
spiffy

Please help linux manjaro blackscreen

Post by spiffy »

When booting manjaro on my windows 10 host it go's to the boot options, then after picking my source it black screens forever
Attachments
Screenshot (151).png
Screenshot (151).png (64.2 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Please help linux manjaro blackscreen

Post by mpack »

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

mpack wrote:Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

here also are my specs
Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
RAM
16 GB
Operating System
Windows 10
Attachments
linux-2021-03-11-12-14-46.zip
(24.96 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

16MB graphics RAM? You should definitely increase that (to 128MB) and then let me know if it helped.

VirtualBox should have been giving you an alert that there was something wrong with this setting. Is that not the case? You should not ignore those warnings.

Is a 20GB hard drive going to be enough for a real world Linux installation?

[Later] Looking at your log I see many occurrences of this error :
00:00:07.546636 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdrom: function 42, status 04 !
00:00:07.547318 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdrom: function 42, status 04 !
I don't know whether this means that the ISO is corrupted, or VirtualBox does not support int 13h Function 42h. I might give it a try myself.
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

mpack wrote:16MB graphics RAM? You should definitely increase that (to 128MB) and then let me know if it helped.
ty those specs are on my host btw, anf so do i need to give the geust less ram?
Last edited by mpack on 12. Mar 2021, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

it did but it was for the vboxvga setting I changed is what people recomended
Last edited by mpack on 12. Mar 2021, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please don't use "Quote" to reply to a post, unless you intend to indicate what part of the quote you are referencing. Use "Post reply" for normal posts.

I did not understand your comment about host specs. Your host has plenty RAM for this.
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

so do i need to do anything to my settings?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I'm trying it now, and I just left it on the template defaults except for graphics RAM, which I set to 128MB. I also set audio to IntelHD. It seems to be installing just fine.

To be clear: you should have selected the VMSVGA graphics controller, not the obsolete VBoxVGA.

And I just remembered that part of the reason I'm doing it was to establish if the Manjaro installer is doing unsupported BIOS calls - it is not. The installer works just fine provided you download an uncorrupted copy. Verify that using the SHA1 checksum they provide.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:Is a 20GB hard drive going to be enough for a real world Linux installation?
Yes, depending on what you do with it. Two examples: My largest Linux Mint VM, including the Eclipse development environment and the VirtualBox sources, fills about 12 GB of its 20 GB virtual hard disk. My Kali Linux VM with rolling updates fills about 20 GB of its 30 GB virtual hard disk. I'll have to admit that I know how to keep the installations small over time, though.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, I believe I know what your main problem is, i.e. in addition to the problems already mentioned (not enough VRAM, wrong graphics controller).

The killer is that you also have Hyper-v enabled.
00:00:03.533272 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.596575 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Manjaro-XFCE does seem to sit there with a black screen for a long time during boot. With Hyper-v enabled this will be an eternity. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

All,

If you check out the Manjaro Wiki , you'll see that Manjaro Developers recommend setting the Graphics as VBoxSVGA and no 3D, if screen resizing is to work. I know throw your hands up in horror at this :o , but it's their recommendation and it does work, though you have to put up with an invalid setting in VirtualBox. This is peculiar to Manjaro as other Arch Linux derivatives I've looked at don't have the same need.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Virt ... VBox_guest
Before installation of Manjaro ensure the correct display settings for VM. The Manjaro recommendation - to ensure the best experience - is contradicting the recommendations from VirtualBox developers. To have the VM screensize adapting to the window size - you need enable VBoxSVGA but doing so you cannot enable 3D. To use 3D you need to use VMSVGA which will force you to set the VM screen size inside the VM. If you use the VMSVGA adapter - mhwd will keep telling you to switch - you can do it but you will not be able to utilize 3D graphics.
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

Thanks for the response im kinda dumb so could i have a simple run down of all the fixes i should do? thank you
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

multiOS wrote: If you check out the Manjaro Wiki , you'll see that Manjaro Developers recommend setting the Graphics as VBoxSVGA and no 3D
Surely that would be VBoxVGA, not VBoxSVGA.

In any case their advice is nonsense! I've just created a Manjaro 20.2.1 VM using VirtualBox 6.1.18, 4096MB RAM, VMSVGA, 128MB graphics RAM (later I increased to 256MB), 3D acceleration enabled, AC'97 audio. I also successfully installed the 6.1.18 Guest Additions (it had 6.0.0 bundled with it, which is not great).

I wish it gave some kind of splash screen to indicate that it's booting up instead of a plain black screen. But, if I just leave it then it does eventually boot up (from my slower mechanical hdd) to desktop in around 100 seconds (reduces to around 30 seconds on an SSD). Naturally I do not have Hyper-v enabled, if I did then it would take considerably longer.

I'm running on a 4K monitor so I can't give you a full screenshot, so I'll just give you the top left corner of the lovely 2560x1600 desktop.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.85 KiB) Viewed 5269 times