VMSVGA not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Tinch334

VMSVGA not working

Post by Tinch334 »

Hi,
I have a VM in Windows 10 with Linux Mint installed in it. For a couple of days it worked fine, then today when I tried to turn it on after the login screen everything was black. I confirmed that the OS actually booted by opening the console with Ctrl+Alt+T and shutting it down with a command. I rebooted my PC and tried again but the same thing happened. The only thing that worked was chaning the graphics controller from VMSVGA to VBoxVGA, which is slower and doesn't support 3D acceleration.

Guest additions are installed and both OS are up to date, as well as VirtualBox.

Any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
Mint-2021-03-06-21-15-56.zip
The log using VMSVGA
(32.89 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
grahamperrin

Oracle VirtualBox guest additions versus VMSVGA

Post by grahamperrin »

I am reliably advised that FreeBSD and Linux guests with guest additions:
  • should not be set to VMSVGA
– users should ignore the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager (application) recommendation to use VMSVGA; should ignore the yellow alert for VBoxSVGA.

Please see, for example https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... =254266#c3 (there are various discussions elsewhere; this comment is pertinent and concise).

HTH

From today's https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-508113 (ignoring the misleading title of the topic):
… 13.0-RELEASE. … xorg, lxde and virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18. … lxde … black screen … 6.1.18 is bugged. … VboxVGA
Proof of LXDE working with VBoxSVGA with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18: https://i.imgur.com/l5OKsPH.png (original screenshot) and attached (greyscale, cropped).
Attachments
Screenshot: FreeBSD host with KDE Plasma, FreeBSD guest with LXDE
Screenshot: FreeBSD host with KDE Plasma, FreeBSD guest with LXDE
2021-04-24 13.47.png (127.44 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Tinch334

Re: VMSVGA not working

Post by Tinch334 »

Thanks for the help, VBoxSVGA seems to work well enough for what I need. I can also confirm that VMSMGA still does not work properly.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This discussion does not concern the Windows host and therefore does not belong in the "Windows Hosts" forum. Please think about your forum choice before posting.

Topic moved to "Linux Guests".
grahamperrin

Multi-platform problems with VMSVGA

Post by grahamperrin »

Please note, display/graphics problems with VMSVGA are not limited to Linux guests.

With VMSVGA, SDDM runs but fails to appear:
Windows 10 host, FreeBSD guest, VMSVGA
Windows 10 host, FreeBSD guest, VMSVGA
2021-05-18 16.58 VMSVGA.png (66.05 KiB) Viewed 12122 times
With VBoxSVGA, SDDM appears:
Windows 10 host, FreeBSD guest, VBoxSVGA
Windows 10 host, FreeBSD guest, VBoxSVGA
2021-05-18 17.02 VBoxSVGA.png (98.62 KiB) Viewed 12122 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Multi-platform problems with VMSVGA

Post by mpack »

grahamperrin wrote:Please note, display/graphics problems with VMSVGA are not limited to Linux guests.
Of course they are. The VMSVGA controller is explicitly for Linux guests only. If you choose to try the Linux GAs on anything other than Linux then that's on you.

And also note that FreeBSD is not a supported guest OS - no GAs are offered for it.
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

mpack wrote:The VMSVGA controller is explicitly for Linux guests only.
Where is this explicit?

The user manual describes VMSVGA as "the default graphics controller for Linux guests", without stating that it's solely for Linux.
leop

Post by leop »

Fedora 34 guest, with GA, on Vbox 6.1.22 with GA on Windows 10. VMSVGA used.

Cinnamon gui white screen with boxes for icons when 3D acceleration is checked, Cinnamon okay when 3D acceleration unchecked but gui is too slow with software rendering.

Other vbox graphics controllers work but none have 3D acceleration available. Perhaps a problem with VMSVGA when 3D acceleration checked.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

grahamperrin wrote: The user manual describes VMSVGA as "the default graphics controller for Linux guests", without stating that it's solely for Linux.
True, but VirtualBox basically only provides GAs for Windows (NT family) and Linux, so the math is easy.

When it says "VMSVGA is the default" it doesn't mean you can use VMSVGA elsewhere, it means you can use something else on Linux. First because that section was written when VBoxVGA was a useful fallback. Second because the template is a template, not a rulebook: you are free to try other things, just don't complain when it doesn't work...
grahamperrin

VBoxSVGA: glxinfo: direct rendering; glxgears -info

Post by grahamperrin »

leop wrote:… VMSVGA … Other vbox graphics controllers work but none have 3D acceleration available. …
Re: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/964/13260 does direct rendering: Yes indicate 3D acceleration?
VBoxSVGA: FreeBSD: glxinfo: direct rendering: Yes
VBoxSVGA: FreeBSD: glxinfo: direct rendering: Yes
2021-05-20 04.42 glxinfo direct rendering.png (69.5 KiB) Viewed 12046 times
Postscript

glxgears -info

I have no idea whether these frame rates are good, but the rates in this VirtualBox guest are much better than those on the host:
glxgears -info, first two measurements
glxgears -info, first two measurements
1,202 FPS.png (88.77 KiB) Viewed 12045 times
glxgears -info, more measurements
glxgears -info, more measurements
2021-05-20 04.59 glxgears -info.png (96.59 KiB) Viewed 12045 times
kkshethin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

Post by kkshethin »

leop wrote:Fedora 34 guest, with GA, on Vbox 6.1.22 with GA on Windows 10. VMSVGA used.

Cinnamon gui white screen with boxes for icons when 3D acceleration is checked, Cinnamon okay when 3D acceleration unchecked but gui is too slow with software rendering.

Other vbox graphics controllers work but none have 3D acceleration available. Perhaps a problem with VMSVGA when 3D acceleration checked.
Correct, same here. it appears this reality is not being accepted
grahamperrin

Measurements

Post by grahamperrin »

Exactly how fast are things without 3D acceleration at the guest level?

Exactly how fast are things with 3D acceleration at the host level on the same computer?

I'd like to see some measured comparisons. Thanks.
leop

Post by leop »

I do not know how to measure the difference between 3D on off for cinnamon on a Fedora guest (F33 for me). One cannot use glxgears as that now seg faults for me with 3D enabled. However, moving a window around on the desktop makes the difference obvious. With 3D, the window moves with just small jumps, Without #D the window moves around with large jumps and is quite delayed in motion.

LP
grahamperrin

Smooth and delay-free with VBoxSVGA on FreeBSD

Post by grahamperrin »

leop wrote:… moving a window around on the desktop makes the difference obvious. With 3D, the window moves with just small jumps, Without 3D the window moves around with large jumps and is quite delayed in motion.
No jumps or delays, to my eye. Screen recording: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XKBDpHMuGmn1EADQA – FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT host, 13.0-RELEASE-p2 guest.