How to share folder on Linux host and Linux guest?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
hack3rcon

How to share folder on Linux host and Linux guest?

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
I want to share a directory between two Linux operating systems. My host is Debian and my guest is another Debian based Distro.
I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions on the guest operating system and as below image, shared a directory:
Window.png
Window.png (25.98 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Then I created a directory with the "Folder" name and used below command, but get an error:

Code: Select all

$sudo mount.vboxsf Folder Folder/
mount.vboxsf: shared folder 'Folder' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
Why?

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to share folder on Linux host and Linux guest?

Post by mpack »

Are you trying to share a guest folder? If so, that isn't how Guest Additions Shares work. The Guest Additions make host folders visible to a guest.

If you want to share a guest folder it will have to be a true network share. Though I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a host folder and let both guests see it.

If this isn't what you mean then I'm not getting what you mean.
hack3rcon

Re: How to share folder on Linux host and Linux guest?

Post by hack3rcon »

mpack wrote:Are you trying to share a guest folder? If so, that isn't how Guest Additions Shares work. The Guest Additions make host folders visible to a guest.

If you want to share a guest folder it will have to be a true network share. Though I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a host folder and let both guests see it.

If this isn't what you mean then I'm not getting what you mean.
Yes, I want to share a directory between the host and guest operating systems. Sharing a directory on the host and my guest operating system can see it.