Guest Additions in multi-user.target does not work. Works in graphical.target. Normal?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
yeni84

Guest Additions in multi-user.target does not work. Works in graphical.target. Normal?

Post by yeni84 »

Hello,
I have a home lab with Host OS Windows 10 + Virtual Box + 2 x RHEL8.0 VMs. The VMs were installed as "Server with GUI" and the default boot target is the "graphical.target". I installed Guest Additions on both and GA is working fine.
But when I switched to the multi-user.target, GA do not work anymore (I have the two prompts already from VBox about the screen and mouse pointer integration). Is this normal behaviour? Or should I try to install GA while in the multi-user.target? The scope is to have full screen and mouse point integration in the multi-user.target.
PS: I want to simulate a Linux exam certification where only console will be available, no terminals so I need to boot in multi-user.target and have full screen.
Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Additions in multi-user.target does not work. Works in graphical.target. Normal?

Post by scottgus1 »

" Default boot target", "Graphical.target" and "Multi-user.target" are not Virtualbox terms or settings. If these are terms of Red Hat, then you'd need to look into Red Hat's help files to see if a program installed in one "target" might not work in another "target". How Red Hat works is a bit beyond the scope of this forum, though someone might happen along who knows.

You can always do a full backup of the VMs then try installing the Guest Additions in the Multi-user.target and see what happens.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Re: Guest Additions in multi-user.target does not work. Works in graphical.target. Normal?

Post by arQon »

Yes, "normal", sort of.

The GAs need a DE running for things like Shared Clipboard. Whether or not the OTHER pieces, like USB3 etc, can be used successfully on a server, I can't tell you - I haven't tried it in so long that I wouldn't trust those results now anyway, sorry.