Linux 5.8.0-36-generic/Guest Additions incompatibility

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
lhunsicker

Linux 5.8.0-36-generic/Guest Additions incompatibility

Post by lhunsicker »

I am running a Ubuntu 20.04 LT guest on a Windows 10 (up to date) host machine. When I recently updated the Linux kernel from 5.4.0-36-generic to 5.8.0-36-generic, suddenly my Ubuntu desk top window opened in a vanilla 800x600 dpi screen rather than the 1920x1080 monitor resolution. There was no way to increase the screen resolution offered. In a response to a prior query, I was told that this was due to a known incompatibility of the currently released Guest Additions with the new Linux kernel, and that the Linux teams had released a new Guest Additions that resolved the problem, but that the Ubuntu folks had not released the update yet onto the Ubuntu repository. I downgraded my Linux to the Linux 5.4.0.59-generic kernel, and everything is back to normal now. But I would like to be able to upgrade back to the 5.8.0-36-generic kernel when the upgraded Guest Additions is released on the Ubuntu repositories.

Can anyone tell me the projected date of release of the updated Linux Guest Additions onto the Ubuntu repositories, or how I can check to see if the update has been posted?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Hunsicker
Last edited by lhunsicker on 14. Jan 2021, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.