Resolution never saves

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
macbheatha
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Oracle Linux

Resolution never saves

Post by macbheatha »

Hi guys! Just installed Oracle Lunux64 (OracleLinux-R8-U3) and everything is perfect except one thing. It just always starts 800x600 in a small window. Every time I change it to e.g. 1920x1200 it changes and is ok until I shut up the machine. When I reload/or reopen the machine the resolution is still default. What should I do? Drives crazy really.
Thanks in advance!
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Resolution never saves

Post by mpack »

What makes this a "Windows Hosts" question? I see nothing in your question which mentions the host. I'll move the topic to "Linux Guests".

The display size is selected by the guest OS during boot, so it seems that your guest is not saving your display size preference you selected in a previous session. Are you perhaps booting from a read only medium, e.g. a live CD?

p.s. Don't expect any special expertise regarding Oracle Linux 'round here. The forum servers may be owned by Oracle, but this is a user to user self help discussion forum set up to discuss VirtualBox. I.e. none of us work for Oracle.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@macbheatha

I've occasionally seen this happen prior to the full installation of Guest Additions on a Linux VM - IME some Linux distros won't even respect screen resizing prior to installation, i.e. always revert to the default. Have you installed Linux Guest Additions and, if so, are all screen options shown as available (not greyed out) in the 'View' Menu Item?
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

macbheatha wrote:What should I do?
Please follow my instructions in Re: Version 6.1.12 Guest OS Won't Save Resolution Across Reboots, replacing every occurrence of the VM name in the given commands. Please report back if it solved your problem.
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:
Please follow my instructions in Re: Version 6.1.12 Guest OS Won't Save Resolution Across Reboots, replacing every occurrence of the VM name in the given commands. Please report back if it solved your problem.
Yeah, will try it now. Btw, what does Guest OS mean?
Edit: sorry, im dumb, i know what it is...
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:
I just do not understand really in which line I should paste the code
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

macbheatha wrote:I just do not understand really in which line I should paste the code
Ah, I see now that my old post can be misleading. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

VBoxManage is a program to be executed from the command line of the host OS (e.g. Linux terminal, Windows CMD). When the given command is executed, the .vbox file is modified automatically.
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:
macbheatha wrote:I just do not understand really in which line I should paste the code
Ah, I see now that my old post can be misleading. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

VBoxManage is a program to be executed from the command line of the host OS (e.g. Linux terminal, Windows CMD). When the given command is executed, the .vbox file is modified automatically.
Yeah, have done that already. However, it seems like the line has not been added and resolution in fact not remembered
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The command removes the line, and VirtualBox re-creates it (with the current resolution) when the VM is shut down the next time.
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:The command removes the line, and VirtualBox re-creates it (with the current resolution) when the VM is shut down the next time.

Unfortunately, resolution still the same
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You could also try to set the wanted resolution, e.g. VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1600,900". Note that the resolution has to fit into the VM window, which typically is a little bit smaller than the monitor resolution.

Just noticing: Are you perhaps not using a GUI (X11, Wayland) at all?
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:You could also try to set the wanted resolution, e.g. VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1600,900". Note that the resolution has to fit into the VM window, which typically is a little bit smaller than the monitor resolution.

Just noticing: Are you perhaps not using a GUI (X11, Wayland) at all?
Right, not using. I'm early-early beginner. Tried VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "1600,900" - not working :(
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

If you aren't using a GUI, then you can forget about all I've written in this thread. As the name of the setting GUI/LastGuestSizeHint indicates, it is only used in combination with a GUI.

You'll have to configure a resolution change inside the guest OS (e.g. in its startup scripts), and the VM window should adapt automatically.
macbheatha

Post by macbheatha »

fth0 wrote:If you aren't using a GUI, then you can forget about all I've written in this thread. As the name of the setting GUI/LastGuestSizeHint indicates, it is only used in combination with a GUI.

You'll have to configure a resolution change inside the guest OS (e.g. in its startup scripts), and the VM window should adapt automatically.
So idk, probably I use a GUI.
Here I'm trying to change a resolution and it changes https://ibb.co/mctLygh
Then I restart/shut down VM and again boom default poop https://ibb.co/4td9r8F
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Yes, your screenshots show a GUI. Now please answer the questions that user multiOS has asked ...