Ubuntu 20.04 Guest not detecting Nvidia graphics card

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mistah mikey

Ubuntu 20.04 Guest not detecting Nvidia graphics card

Post by mistah mikey »

Installed everything on the latest version of Windows 10, but for some odd reason, the Ubuntu guest is not detecting my Host's Nvidia graphics card:

Code: Select all

mike@mike-VirtualBox:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000080EEd0000CAFEsv00000000sd00000000bc08sc80i00
vendor   : InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
model    : VirtualBox Guest Service
driver   : virtualbox-guest-dkms - distro non-free
driver   : virtualbox-guest-dkms-hwe - distro non-free

== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000015ADd00000405sv000015ADsd00000405bc03sc00i00
vendor   : VMware
model    : SVGA II Adapter
driver   : open-vm-tools-desktop - distro free

mike@mike-VirtualBox:~$ 

I've googled this for hours and cannot find any solutions. I do have VMWare installed as well, but from what I've read, that shouldn't be an issue. Any help solving this is greatly appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Guest not detecting Nvidia graphics card

Post by scottgus1 »

It won't. The VM is a separate "PC". The only physical host hardware the VM sees iis the CPU itself. Every other bit of hardware is simulated.

Your best solution for more advanced video is to enable 3D acceleration in the VM's video settings, then install the Guest Additions that comes with your host's Virtualbox in the VM (match versions).

(Note that you can pass physical USB hardware into the VM, using Virtualbox's USB filters.)

(Note 2: the video card for your VM likely defaults to the VMSVGA video card, which is a VMware specification, but it comes from Virtualbox. If you uninstall VMware you'll likely still se the "VMware" in your command output you posted.)
mistah mikey

Post by mistah mikey »

Thanks, but I am confused - I've seen dozens of googled posts about this where the output of that command I showed previously clearly identifies Nvidia adapters being present and drivers that can be installed for them. So perhaps I am misunderstanding your answer?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

We'd need to see those posts to see what they're doing. You can put them in a text file then post the text file using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mistah mikey

Post by mistah mikey »

As it turns out, I was confused. The articles I saw I thought were installing the nvidia drivers under virtualbox, but turns out it was simply installing them under native Ubuntu. So, I take it there is no way to improve the graphics performance of vitualbox by having it take better advantage of the native graphics card? The VM I built performs abysmally in that department.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

mistah mikey wrote:installing them under native Ubuntu.
OK, that makes sense. They're not doing it in the VM.
mistah mikey wrote:I take it there is no way to improve the graphics performance of vitualbox by having it take better advantage of the native graphics card?
Not the graphics card specifically, but there are improvements, see the 3D acceleration stuff above. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03. ... ngs-screen