Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) Install Issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jax200

Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) Install Issues

Post by jax200 »

Hello

This new version has changed significantly from the previous version. I would appreciate some help:

1 In VB Manager, why has the "New" button now disappeared from the upper console? Is there method to bring it back?
2 Using the new install GUI, I do not have access to Settings as before, where I could set bi-directional clipboard to ON before starting the install. How to access this?
3 Unlike the previous version, now each time I install my VM I end up without root privileges, so I have to modify the /etc/sudoers file, which is annoying. How to avoid this?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) Install Issues

Post by scottgus1 »

jax200 wrote:1 In VB Manager, why has the "New" button now disappeared from the upper console?
No idea about this, but:
jax200 wrote: Is there method to bring it back?
If you click the 3 dots 3 lines box in the right of the upper left "tile" marked "Tools", then Welcome, "New" is on the toolbar. Select any VM in the VM list, and New will be in the toolbar. The main window Machine menu also has New as a choice. Post a screenshot using the forum's Upload Attachment tab if you do not see these places.
jax200 wrote:2 Using the new install GUI, I do not have access to Settings as before, where I could set bi-directional clipboard to ON before starting the install. How to access this?
When you select a VM in the list, the right-side pane has the settings shown. Bi-directional Clipboard is under General settings, Advanced tab.

A further thought on #1 and 2: If you do not see the Settings and see only a window-wide Tools bar with no buttons and window-wide VM list, then you may have dragged the pane width control all the way to the right. Put you mouse on the right side of the main Virtualbox window just before the mouse cursor changes to a window resize pointer, and it will chnage to the pane adjustment pointer. Click and drag to the middle, and the right Settings pane will re-appear.

jax200 wrote:3 each time I install my VM I end up without root privileges, so I have to modify the /etc/sudoers file,
Are you using the unattended installation option:

If so, try disabling unattended installation and run the OS installer again:

Please report which you had been using and what the result was.
jax200

Post by jax200 »

Thanks for your response.
If you click the 3 dots 3 lines box in the right of the upper left "tile" marked "Tools", then Welcome, "New" is on the toolbar. Select any VM in the VM list, and New will be in the toolbar.
Although I see "New" in "Tools" and under "Machine', when I select an established machine there still is no "New". It has nothing to do with the slider. (I tried to add an image using a url from https://imgur but it didn't work. How to do this?)

Selecting to 'Skip Unattended...' did solve the issue of accessing 'Settings' before the installation of Ubuntu commenced, however other problems arose. The Guest Additions did not install properly, hence the View>Auto Resize didn't work nor did bi-directional clipboard. I had to run through the manual process to install/run this. I was able to re-size the GUI to fit the window, but the clipboard didn't work until I rebooted the whole thing again. If I use Unattended this worked seamlessly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Use the forum's Upload Attachment to post the image.

There have been a few reports of no admin account in new 7.0 VMs. Congratulations! You're the first person to actually answer the unattended install question! Looks like there may be a bug in unattended install.

The much more manual setup requirements for Guest additions et al are common for manual installs and are expected.
jax200

Post by jax200 »

Here I do not see "New" on the toolbar in the second image below. If I slide the divider over it is still not there. Earlier versions had this?
imgfinal.jpg
imgfinal.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That's because the VM's 3-dot 3-line Tools setting is pointing to Snapshots. Click the 3-dot 3-line icon at the end of any VM tile in the list and in the "Details/Snapshots/Logs" popup, click Details. New will appear on the top toolbar.

5.2 had the New button there when "Global Tools" was selected at the left end of the toolbar. 6.0 started a new interface design.
jax200

Post by jax200 »

That did it! Thanks for the clarification.