Kali Linux machine stuck right after login

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
splint3rsec

Kali Linux machine stuck right after login

Post by splint3rsec »

Hello Everyone

So I've been facing this problem for the last 3 days and I tried all the possible solutions online, none of them worked. The problem is when I enter my password for the login, the screen repositionning starts fixing the resolution, then the screen goes black for no reason. I can still see the linux mouse moving, but I can't click on something, or activate the terminal prompt with alt+T or Ctrl+alt+F2. I really wish if someone can help me regarding this problem because I have a bunch of projects on this machine and I don't want to lose them and reinstall another one, fall into the same problem again. I can dump the logs if you think they're helpful. The solutions I tried include:
* Terminal prompt -> update+upgrade -> mount vbox additions disk and install -> reboot
* Turn hyper-v off
* Install new gdm3 version

My machine specs:
RAM: 5012mb
CPU: 2 cores
2 network adapters
Storage: 80gb

Thank you in advance
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kali Linux machine stuck right after login

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
splint3rsec

Post by splint3rsec »

Thank you for the reply, you will find attached the zip file of the logs.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(155.52 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

For future reference "zipping the file" does not mean "renaming it to have a zip extension". It means to compress the file with a zip compression tool. In Windows hosts it's especially easy: you just right click the file | Send to | zip folder.

Give your VM 2 cores. Give it 128MB graphics RAM. The template for Kali should have been Debian, not Ubuntu.

But your main problem will be because Hyper-v is enabled.
00:00:06.373463 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.493186 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:06.493275 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
splint3rsec

Post by splint3rsec »

Thank you for the clarifications,

I was mistaken to attach the wrong file, you will find attached the correct one, and regarding the hyper-v I tried to disable it and start the machine, but that didn't help. I hope you will find a solution for this problem.

Thank you once again.
Attachments
kaliLogs.zip
(31.94 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The warning message is still there in the Log:
00:00:06.356474 ********************* End of CFGM dump **********************
00:00:06.356637 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.463983 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:06.464103 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
So either Hyper-v is still active or one or more of the Windows "Guard" features mentioned in the Tutorial is still enabled.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I attached a link to my previous post. Please follow the link and read the contents - it tells you how to disable Hyper-v correctly.
splint3rsec

Post by splint3rsec »

The solution was funny, it was a weird resolution error because of the VBox addons, so when the user logs in, the screen resolution is fixed according to the host screen. And when I logged in, the screen resolution utility bugs out and I see nothing but black. I tried to click on the resize window button (next to the close button) and it worked. Thank you very much for the answers!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

splint3rsec wrote:when the user logs in, the screen resolution is fixed according to the host screen.
This is probably the VM set to run Full-Screen. That causes the VM to be the same resolution as the host monitor, and the host desktop is completely hidden.
splint3rsec wrote:And when I logged in,
While the other user is logged in? How is that possible? Are you remoting in?