I was trying to install kali .iso file but then i click install it installs .ova file, VBOX_E_IPRT_E

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
gambler1

I was trying to install kali .iso file but then i click install it installs .ova file, VBOX_E_IPRT_E

Post by gambler1 »

I was trying to install kali .iso file but then i click install it installs .ova file,
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Its been a week since am trying to install it,
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I was trying to install kali .iso file but then i click install it installs .ova file, VBOX_E_IP

Post by scottgus1 »

I cannot think of anything in Virtualbox that would turn an iso into an ova.

However, if you are trying to "import" the Kali iso and Virtualbox only wants to use ova files, then this is expected. One does not use "import" to start installing an iso.

See section 1 in the Virtualbox manual. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

If English is not your native language, please feel free to use your native language, and we can use translating websites.
gambler1

Re: I was trying to install kali .iso file but then i click install it installs .ova file, VBOX_E_IP

Post by gambler1 »

Whenever i try to create a new virtual machine this happens i click new and when it asks for the kali.iso file i link the kali linux file that i installed from offensive security site but its not a iso file its an .ova file,
When i click the .ova file its says VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
i tried many time reinstalling kali file but it always come as .ova file i tried turning that ova file into iso file but still doesn't work, what should i do?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It could be possible you downloaded an ova instead of an iso. Does your host OS hide known extensions? Windows does that. It's a pernicious setting and needs to be unset with extreme prejudice. Web-search for how.

An iso is an image file containing the contents of a CD or DVD. It acts like a CD or DVD when used by Virtualbox. An ova is a zip-like archive containing a pre-assembled already-installed VM disk file set and a configuration file (and possibly a hash for an integrity check). An ova does not work like a CD or DVD. Rather, properly-configured ova's can be imported into Virtualbox and immediately used, without going through the install process.

There is no built-in function in Virtualbox that would make an iso behave like an ova.

If you try to use Virtualbox's File menu, Import Appliance command, then select the Kali file, does the import accept the file? If so then you downloaded an ova instead of an iso.
gambler1

Post by gambler1 »

Yes whenever i try to install kali.iso instead it gives me .ova, need to fix that
how can i?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Download the ISO File instead of the OVA. The Kali Web Site refers to it as the "Bare Metal Installer" https://www.kali.org/get-kali/#kali-bare-metal Kali also provides detailed guidance on installation process on VirtualBox using the ISO if you check the Documentation section of their Website.

With a .ova file, the pre-prepared Virtual Machine has to be imported not installed. See Section 1.14 in the VirtualBox User Guide which is included in your VirtualBox installation. Access it using the VirtualBox Menu Bar by selecting Help > Contents
gambler1

Post by gambler1 »

Do Bare metal installer work on Virtual box?
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

gambler1 wrote:Do Bare metal installer work on Virtual box?
As I said:
Kali also provides detailed guidance on installation process on VirtualBox using the ISO if you check the Documentation section of their Website.
gambler1

Post by gambler1 »

There is nothing related about my issues and I wanna install kali not import kali in vm and whenever i try to install kali from offensive security site it gives me kali.ova not iso, what should i do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If the website gives you an OVA when you try to download ISO, then contact the website.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

gambler1 wrote:Do Bare metal installer work on Virtual box?
Yes. The link that Multi-OS gave you takes you to the place on Kali's webpage where the ISO can be downloaded.

Kali seems to have obscured the download link behind a picture, though. Find this text under "Bare Metal":

Kali Linux 2022.2 Changelog
64-bit 32-bit Apple M1
(CD-looking picture with Kali dragon on it)
Installer
Complete offline installation with customization

Click the CD-looking picture. The 64-bit ISO will download. If you select 32-bit, click the "Installer" CD picture, not "Weekly" or "NetInstaller". Then the 32-bit ISO will download.
gambler1

Post by gambler1 »

Thx hopefully it gonna work now
gambler1

Post by gambler1 »

But is there any way to fix that issue, That kali.org automatically gives an.ova file instead of iso?
:D
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

gambler1 wrote:But is there any way to fix that issue, That kali.org automatically gives an.ova file instead of iso?
:D
What is downloaded is entirely dependent on what choice you make:

- If you click on the 'Bare Metal' option you get an ISO Installer which can be used to install Kali on real hardware (after creating a bootable USB/Disc Installer) or used directly as an installer in a virtualisation application such as VirtualBox, VMWare etc.;
- If you choose the 'Virtual Machines' option you get an OVA File (which contains a pre-prepared virtual machine image which has to be imported into a virtualisation application)

If you don't like the design of their site, or believe the download choices are unclear then you need to take the issue to the Kali Community Forum: https://www.kali.org/community/
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

gambler1 wrote:is there any way to fix that issue, That kali.org automatically gives an.ova file instead of iso?
You're clicking the wrong link. That's why it 'automatically' happens. :shock:

How to find and download ISOs from other websites is not in the scope of this forum. We have taken you to the exact place needed to get the ISO. All we have left is to give you the clickable download link to the ISO itself. But we're all volunteers here, and everybody needs to do their part. :D You need to do yours too. :wink: The ISO is available at the website where MultiOS linked, and both MultiOS and I have explained how to find it. You will need to find it now. :lol:

Any further questions on where to find the ISO or why an OVA is downloaded instead of an ISO will be considered off-topic for the forum and deleted.