Kali Linux VirtualBox freezes during work

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
janjan

Kali Linux VirtualBox freezes during work

Post by janjan »

Hi,
I am running VirtualBox on win10 host.
I assigned my Kali 12420MB of RAM (I have 32GB on my PC) and 4 CPUs (The selection bar in the setting allows me to choose 1-12)

The problem I face is that many times the system simply freezes.
I notice that when it happens VB uses all it's assigned memory - 12420MB , while the memory usage which the virtual Linux machine reports is 10-15%.

What can I do to debug this?

I attached the last log which was generated after I forced a shutdown when the virtual machine last froze.
Attachments
Kali 2021 4-2022-01-27-09-21-45.zip
(35.78 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kali Linux VirtualBox freezes during work

Post by mpack »

I deleted your second post with the pasted log - we don't need that when we have the zip.

I see no problem with the VM. I do see that something is locking up inside the VM, I would use a task monitor inside the guest OS to look there for the problem.
00:29:14.802343 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago
One possible cause is that you're running under Hyper-v, which will make all VirtualBox VMs slow.
00:00:03.487228 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.534277 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.534331 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
janjan

Post by janjan »

Thank for the quick reply.
I've implemented all the suggestions regarding Hyper-V and I am testing this now.
Will report beck if it solved the issue.
I believe I enabled Hyper-V since it was required, if I am not mistake, by Visual studio to allow android emulators.

In case I need it back, if it really solves the 'freezing' issue, what can I do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I use Visual Studio myself, though not for Android development. I would expect that a VM is only required for debugging, and could probably be replaced by a network connection.

My point is that Visual Studio does not require Hyper-v per se. Otherwise your priorities are for you to decide.
janjan

Post by janjan »

So far to more freezing.
:mrgreen: Guess it was teh Hyper-V