Linux guest unstable with 3D Acceleration

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
eleman

Linux guest unstable with 3D Acceleration

Post by eleman »

Hi All,

I am on a Windows 10 host, using Virtualbox Version 6.1.30 r148432 (Qt5.6.2) with Extension Pack 6.1.30 and my guest is Manjaro 21.2.1 (Gnome edition).
I am running a 3840x2400 display on my laptop and I use this full screen resolution on my guest.
I want to use Virtualbox 3D acceleration with VMSVGA Graphic Controller to benefit the animation on my guest.

However, after a few minutes, the guest gets unstable: wallpaper disappear and background gets black, some icons gets pixelized, and sometimes it gets worst.
If I type ALT+F2 then R to restart Gnome Shell, it works again but after few minutes, same issues come back.

I attached the log.

When I change Virtualbox settings and uncheck 3D acceleration, then I have no issue (but I have no animation in Linux).
I experienced similar issues with other Linux guests: Ubuntu, Arcolinux, Manjaro KDE.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(60.2 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
eleman

Re: Linux guest unstable with 3D Acceleration

Post by eleman »

an addon: when I change my Windows host resolution (to 2560x1600 for instance), I have the same issue I described above, but it takes more time to get unstable. So maybe the higher the resolution, the faster I got the issue.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that Arch (Manjaro) is not listed as a supported OS for the Guest Additions.

That said, they work fine for me provided I use the XFCE edition (not Gnome). In fact XFCE was the default hence I never verified that Gnome is a problem, but I have noticed that everyone who reports stability problems with Manjaro is using Gnome.
eleman

Post by eleman »

Thanks for your feedbacks.
I actually have this problem with many distro (I tested Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, EndeavorOS)... and I had the same issue. Attached picture is a screenshot of Fedora after a few minutes: icons are black, background disappeared, text is not readable. Attached are both losgs (hardening and normal log)
I had the same issue with KDE on Manjaro as well.

Maybe then this comes from my Host (Windows 10) Graphic card (NVIDIA RTX A2000). How can I check if my config is right with the graphic card?
My laptop is 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz and it has 32Gb memory
Attachments
Logs.zip
(87.13 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
19-01-2022-08.23.41.png
19-01-2022-08.23.41.png (36.6 KiB) Viewed 2739 times