Kali freezes after using for some time

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 7. Dec 2021, 15:48

I have read on the forum and can not seem to find my solution. Kali boots up fine, but then freezes after using it for a little. I allocated about 4 GB RAM and I have 32 GB on my host OS. Not sure what can be going on, but getting pretty annoyed at re-updating Kali, for it to freeze and not work again. I have attached the zip log file. Thank you so much for your help!
Attachments
VMlog.zip
Mod note: I can't open this zip in Windows or 7-zip, may be corrupted - SG
(157.47 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 7. Dec 2021, 18:35

Looks like the zip is corrupted, can you please try again?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby mpack » 7. Dec 2021, 19:45

You can't open the zip because it isn't a zip, it's just the raw text, renamed.

The first thing I notice is that only 1 core has been assigned, so this VM is going to be subject to lags and internal software lockups. I would fix that before concluding that there's an actual problem to solve.

While I'm in the settings I would change the RAM to 16GB and the graphics RAM to 128MB, and replace the fork Guest Additions with the genuine article.

Maybe also replace the AC'97 audio setting with Intel HD.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 35105
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 7. Dec 2021, 19:53

mpack wrote:it's just the raw text, renamed.

Well, of all the..., Sho nuff! Thanks, Mpack!

ns4444, you do know that renaming it doesn't zip it, eh? :lol:

OK, so in the properly-extensioned log file, I don't see any seize-ups, and the VM only boots from the CD ROM.

Logs are more useful when they contain the problem event.

Please provide a log (properly zipped this time, not just renamed :wink: ) showing the VM freezing up:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 9. Dec 2021, 04:48

Sorry about that, typically I can change the type file by changing the extension. Anyways, I will attach 3 vlog files that were recorded. Thank you!!
Attachments
vlog3.zip
(31.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
vlog2.zip
(32.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
vlog1.zip
(31.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 9. Dec 2021, 04:54

Thanks! Please save our brains and tell us which of these logs contain a freeze event.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 9. Dec 2021, 05:09

mpack wrote:You can't open the zip because it isn't a zip, it's just the raw text, renamed.

The first thing I notice is that only 1 core has been assigned, so this VM is going to be subject to lags and internal software lockups. I would fix that before concluding that there's an actual problem to solve.

While I'm in the settings I would change the RAM to 16GB and the graphics RAM to 128MB, and replace the fork Guest Additions with the genuine article.

Maybe also replace the AC'97 audio setting with Intel HD.



I never had to set a VM at 16 GB RAM and max out the video card. Why would I need to do that, this just does not seem practical.
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 9. Dec 2021, 05:14

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks! Please save our brains and tell us which of these logs contain a freeze event.


I am sorry, I am new to configuring VB and trying to understand it. I used to use VMware. Anyways, I was not able to find the log saved for the crash... These logs are from like 2+ weeks ago.. how can I record a crash log??
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 9. Dec 2021, 05:53

No problem! You'll need to use the VM, shutting it down fully from inside the VM OS each time you're done using it, so it can boot up from full power off next time.

Then when the VM freezes while using it, shut it down inside the OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 11. Dec 2021, 14:45

scottgus1 wrote:No problem! You'll need to use the VM, shutting it down fully from inside the VM OS each time you're done using it, so it can boot up from full power off next time.

Then when the VM freezes while using it, shut it down inside the OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.


Hey scottgus1, sorry for the late reply. I had to reach out to the board admin as I was not able to post for two days and resolved that issue. I have attached the vlog file that you requested. Thank you for your time!
Attachments
Vlog.zip
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 11. Dec 2021, 16:21

This VM was started from a saved state, not a full shutdown:
00:00:02.255104 Console: Machine state changed to 'Restoring'

Allow me to remind you:
scottgus1 wrote:shutting it down fully from inside the VM OS each time you're done using it, so it can boot up from full power off next time.


Also, I did not see a freeze event in this log. Did the VM freeze?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 11. Dec 2021, 16:35

scottgus1 wrote:This VM was started from a saved state, not a full shutdown:
00:00:02.255104 Console: Machine state changed to 'Restoring'

Allow me to remind you:
scottgus1 wrote:shutting it down fully from inside the VM OS each time you're done using it, so it can boot up from full power off next time.


Also, I did not see a freeze event in this log. Did the VM freeze?


I started it back up after a forced shutdown (click close machine in the top left corner under 'File'). It froze in the sense that I could not enter anything anymore to log back in after it was idle for like 20 minutes. I have been having issues running this Kali customized image (by zSecurity) on VirtualBox.

I ended up creating a new Kali VM by using the image from the Kali website and it seems to be running fine. It froze once but that might have been because I had a lot of programs and web browsers opened. However, I have set my RAM to 4GB, so really hoping I don't face other freezing issues because I need to update Kali and it sucks to keep needing to update after freezing and losing all my saved settings and programs...
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby scottgus1 » 11. Dec 2021, 19:33

ns4444 wrote:click close machine in the top left corner under 'File'

There are some options to choose in this box, two of which are 'save machine state' and 'power off' or similar text. If you have 'save machine state' chosen, then the VM will not be shut down properly to take a log when the VM window disappears. It will be like a Windows hibernation.

ns4444 wrote:I could not enter anything anymore to log back in after it was idle for like 20 minutes

I saw this long time between log entries, but without any indication of the VM hardware doing anything or registering problems. Please check Kali's power settings and disable anything that turns off the screen or sleeps the OS.

ns4444 wrote:Kali customized image (by zSecurity)

Does a VM installed from an official unforked Kali ISO have the freezes?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 14282
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby ns4444 » 11. Dec 2021, 23:43

ns4444 wrote:Kali customized image (by zSecurity)

Does a VM installed from an official unforked Kali ISO have the freezes?[/quote]

I have been using the Kali image from the Kali official website, and I only experienced one freeze within like 10 hours of use, and that was when I had multiple programs and many web pages open. So I am attributing the freeze due to 4 GB of RAM use, but I may be wrong. Nonetheless, no other freezes have happened, and hoping it stays that way haha

Thank you again for all your help!
ns4444
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 7. Dec 2021, 15:44

Re: Kali freezes after using for some time

Postby mpack » 25. Dec 2021, 19:58

ns4444 wrote:Sorry about that, typically I can change the type file by changing the extension

Nope. Never in the history of computing have you ever changed a file's type by renaming it.

What you may have done in the past was indicate a different consuming app for a file by changing the extension, but the file contents never changed, and the new consuming app is liable to complain when it finds that the contents are not as advertised by the filename extension.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 35105
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP


Return to Linux Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests