can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby Uncle Zak » 21. Oct 2021, 01:44

I got this error message:
Failed to import appliance D:\kali-linux-2021.3-virtualbox-i386.ova.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)


everytime I tried to import a Virtual appliance(that uses Kali Linux) to my virtualBox(that virtual appliance are downloaded as VirtualBox' OVA file), can you help me?

if you're wondering, my Host OS was Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit edition
Uncle Zak
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 23. Jul 2021, 11:36
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 95, Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby mpack » 21. Oct 2021, 11:38

Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, not in a root folder.

Also, you could check that the file is intact, as I would be concerned that "D:" is a USB flash drive, formatted in FAT32.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34904
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby Uncle Zak » 21. Oct 2021, 14:07

mpack wrote:Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, not in a root folder.

Also, you could check that the file is intact, as I would be concerned that "D:" is a USB flash drive, formatted in FAT32.

That OVA file has already in hard disk(of any partition, where in this case, it's "D:" drive)
Uncle Zak
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 23. Jul 2021, 11:36
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 95, Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby scottgus1 » 21. Oct 2021, 14:33

mpack wrote:Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, not in a root folder.

I think this could mean:
mpack wrote:Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, AND not in a root folder.


Uncle Zak wrote:D:\kali-linux-2021.3-virtualbox-i386.ova

Good that D: is a hard drive, but D:\ is also the root folder, and Windows locks down the root folder of a drive with special permissions. Make a folder on D:\ then put the OVA inside that new folder. Then try importing again.

If the import fails, zip the "C:\Users\{youraccount}\.Virtualbox" folder and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 13760
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby Uncle Zak » 22. Oct 2021, 01:54

scottgus1 wrote:
mpack wrote:Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, not in a root folder.

I think this could mean:
mpack wrote:Try copying the OVA file to the local hard disk, AND not in a root folder.


Uncle Zak wrote:D:\kali-linux-2021.3-virtualbox-i386.ova

Good that D: is a hard drive, but D:\ is also the root folder, and Windows locks down the root folder of a drive with special permissions. Make a folder on D:\ then put the OVA inside that new folder. Then try importing again.

If the import fails, zip the "C:\Users\{youraccount}\.Virtualbox" folder and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

I has uploaded my .VirtualBox zip file here
Attachments
.VirtualBox.zip
(156.63 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Uncle Zak
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 23. Jul 2021, 11:36
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 95, Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby scottgus1 » 22. Oct 2021, 03:19

00:08:55.321341 Import settings with version "1.16-windows"
00:08:55.321341 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001) aIID={d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d} aComponent={VirtualBoxWrap} aText={Could not find a registered machine named 'Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386'}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:08:55.322341 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} aComponent={MediumWrap} aText={Could not find file for the medium 'C:\Users\ASUS\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386-disk001.vmdk' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-102

00:39:51.466507 createImport ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} aComponent={MediumWrap} aText={Could not create the imported medium 'C:\Users\ASUS\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386-disk001.vdi' (VERR_DISK_FULL)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-152


Looks like two errors related to the import:
Somehow it cannot find the disk file, and it appears that the host disk is full.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 13760
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby Uncle Zak » 22. Oct 2021, 03:52

scottgus1 wrote:
00:08:55.321341 Import settings with version "1.16-windows"
00:08:55.321341 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001) aIID={d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d} aComponent={VirtualBoxWrap} aText={Could not find a registered machine named 'Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386'}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:08:55.322341 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} aComponent={MediumWrap} aText={Could not find file for the medium 'C:\Users\ASUS\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386-disk001.vmdk' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-102

00:39:51.466507 createImport ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} aComponent={MediumWrap} aText={Could not create the imported medium 'C:\Users\ASUS\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386\Kali-Linux-2021.3-vbox-i386-disk001.vdi' (VERR_DISK_FULL)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-152


Looks like two errors related to the import:
Somehow it cannot find the disk file, and it appears that the host disk is full.

so what's the solution of these errors, particularly the first ones?
Uncle Zak
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 23. Jul 2021, 11:36
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 95, Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby mpack » 22. Oct 2021, 13:45

You provide all of the files needed for the install, and you free up some disk space.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34904
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby scottgus1 » 22. Oct 2021, 19:00

I just downloaded and imported Kali's OVA successfully. "kali-linux-2021.3-virtualbox-amd64.ova" from https://www.kali.org/get-kali/ The download was almost 4GB and the import required a further 11GB of disk space.

Check your free disk space. Try going to where your VMs are stored, look for a new Kali folder and delete it. SHA256 your downloaded OVA and compare the hash to Kali's "sum" link to be sure your OVA downloaded correctly. Fresh-download the Kali OVA and hash if your existing OVA does not hash correctly. Then try the import again.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 13760
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby Uncle Zak » 23. Oct 2021, 00:18

scottgus1 wrote:I just downloaded and imported Kali's OVA successfully. "kali-linux-2021.3-virtualbox-amd64.ova" from https://www.kali.org/get-kali/ The download was almost 4GB and the import required a further 11GB of disk space.

Check your free disk space. Try going to where your VMs are stored, look for a new Kali folder and delete it. SHA256 your downloaded OVA and compare the hash to Kali's "sum" link to be sure your OVA downloaded correctly. Fresh-download the Kali OVA and hash if your existing OVA does not hash correctly. Then try the import again.

I has free up enough disk space and it worked
Uncle Zak
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 23. Jul 2021, 11:36
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 95, Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: can't start imported VM(that use Kali Linux)

Postby scottgus1 » 23. Oct 2021, 14:34

Good! Glad that was an easy fix.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 13760
Joined: 30. Dec 2009, 20:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux


Return to Linux Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests